• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cotton Chinos - Shades of Khaki

iamelectroman

Reaction score
I already own chinos in navy blue, coal grey, and olive green. I'm looking to get a few more pairs of chinos and I'm leaning towards getting them in a few different shades of brown/khaki. What are your thoughts and opinions on these options and which ones do you think I should get? I'm not looking for the single best shade or the top [X] shades from these options. Ideally, I want to get as many pairs of chinos as I can (from these options) that look good.

Option #1

Option #2

Option #3

Option #4

Option #5

Option #6

blandcs2000

Reaction score
I agree with Paxonus. Chinos in darker earth-tone shades are much less versatile, as it is generally preferable to pair a darker sport coat with lighter trousers (there are exceptions, of course), so you will get way more use from colors 1, 4, and 6.

iamelectroman

Reaction score
I agree with Paxonus. Chinos in darker earth-tone shades are much less versatile, as it is generally preferable to pair a darker sport coat with lighter trousers (there are exceptions, of course), so you will get way more use from colors 1, 4, and 6.
What would be the exceptions for darker earth-toned chinos?

blandcs2000

Reaction score
What would be the exceptions for darker earth-toned chinos?

Dark brown chinos would probably look okay with a sport coat that had a pattern with brown elements, such as a blue, brown, orange guncheck.

I have also seen darker earth tone/brown trousers pared with tan or camel sport coats, but it's not a look that I am particularly fond of.

Lastly, I have seen a few pair brown trousers with mid-blue sport coats, and while from a color complement perspective it should work, unless the shades and tones of each garment are just right, it usually looks off.

iamelectroman

Reaction score
Dark brown chinos would probably look okay with a sport coat that had a pattern with brown elements, such as a blue, brown, orange guncheck.

I have also seen darker earth tone/brown trousers pared with tan or camel sport coats, but it's not a look that I am particularly fond of.

Lastly, I have seen a few pair brown trousers with mid-blue sport coats, and while from a color complement perspective it should work, unless the shades and tones of each garment are just right, it usually looks off.
Do you think it would be wiser to get chinos in shades of varying intensity (light, medium, dark) for the most versatility? I feel like #4 and #6 are very similar in color (I'm guessing the outfit combinations would be very similar for both pairs of chinos, and it wouldn't make sense to start off with something so nuanced).

Anachronist

Reaction score
I would definitely add a light beige/off-white one to the collection. Especially in summer you can combine them with virtually anything. Instead of the darker shades as a chino I would consider a worsted woolen pair of slacks, but that’s just me as I prefer the lightness and better temperature management of woolens (they are cooler in summer and warmer in winter) and overall lower maintenance.

blandcs2000

Reaction score
Do you think it would be wiser to get chinos in shades of varying intensity (light, medium, dark) for the most versatility? I feel like #4 and #6 are very similar in color (I'm guessing the outfit combinations would be very similar for both pairs of chinos, and it wouldn't make sense to start off with something so nuanced).

What you are describing is essentially the difference between shade and hue. It really depends on how many pairs you want to invest in. Option 1 is by far the most versatile (but also the least interesting) so you can't really go wrong with 1 but it would be a bit boring to just have a bunch of khaki in varying shades.

4 and 6 (from the photos) appear to have a more burnt umber / reddish hue, whuch is a stronger, more dominant color; hence they are less versatile because they will go with fewer other items but potentially be more interesting / striking if paired with the right items.

Personally, I have a few shades of color 1 (from very pale to a deeper, almost mustard shade) and a few pairs similar to 4 and 6 in a mid-shade.

iamelectroman

Reaction score
What you are describing is essentially the difference between shade and hue. It really depends on how many pairs you want to invest in. Option 1 is by far the most versatile (but also the least interesting) so you can't really go wrong with 1 but it would be a bit boring to just have a bunch of khaki in varying shades.

4 and 6 (from the photos) appear to have a more burnt umber / reddish hue, whuch is a stronger, more dominant color; hence they are less versatile because they will go with fewer other items but potentially be more interesting / striking if paired with the right items.

Personally, I have a few shades of color 1 (from very pale to a deeper, almost mustard shade) and a few pairs similar to 4 and 6 in a mid-shade.
I figured #1 would be the most versatile cause it seems to be the quintessential khaki chino, so I'm likely going to get that one for sure.

What are your opinions on #5? I have a feeling that #2 and #3 (thoughts?) may be a tad too dark of a color, but #5 seems to look closest to an all-purpose brown pair of chinos.

iamelectroman

Reaction score
I would definitely add a light beige/off-white one to the collection. Especially in summer you can combine them with virtually anything. Instead of the darker shades as a chino I would consider a worsted woolen pair of slacks, but that’s just me as I prefer the lightness and better temperature management of woolens (they are cooler in summer and warmer in winter) and overall lower maintenance.
Are you referring to a pair of chinos thats even lighter than #1?

blandcs2000

Reaction score
I figured #1 would be the most versatile cause it seems to be the quintessential khaki chino, so I'm likely going to get that one for sure.

What are your opinions on #5? I have a feeling that #2 and #3 (thoughts?) may be a tad too dark of a color, but #5 seems to look closest to an all-purpose brown pair of chinos.

If you want a pair of brown chinos, 2, 3, and 5 would probably all work, but I personally prefer 3.

From the photos, 2 looks so dark that it would almost read as black from a distance / in the wrong light; which would almost certainly not look right with any outfit designed to harmonize with brown.

5 looks too light, almost a bit washed out, and I feel it would not be dark enough to contrast with a light jacket yet too light to contrast with a dark jacket.

3 however, seems to read as a nice, rich brown, so for the (somewhat limited) array of outfits that would work with brown trousers, I suspect 3 may be the most versatile.

Anachronist

Reaction score
Are you referring to a pair of chinos thats even lighter than #1?
Yes, I was thinking of a much lighter tone direction sand or even off-white. Have a look at this website which gives some inspiration as to pairing different colored chinos. You‘ll find the (off)white is very versatile and likely the best summer color you can go for in this garment, no matter if you’re wearing it with a t-shirt, polo, linen summer shirt, Hawaii shirt, or a light sweater, not to speak of the various colors of sport jackets you can pair it with ;-)

Casaubon

Reaction score
Yes, I was thinking of a much lighter tone direction sand or even off-white. Have a look at this website which gives some inspiration as to pairing different colored chinos. You‘ll find the (off)white is very versatile and likely the best summer color you can go for in this garment, no matter if you’re wearing it with a t-shirt, polo, linen summer shirt, Hawaii shirt, or a light sweater, not to speak of the various colors of sport jackets you can pair it with ;-)

I second this, my off-white chinos have proven to be very useful in spring and summer. That plus three other pairs that I own -- in navy, olive green, and ones similar to option #6 from above -- and I'm set for the entire year (barring more formal occasions, naturally).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads