• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cottle

pastrystar23

Reaction score
Their dyeing is outsourced (like pretty much everyone) since they are not a dyeing company. They do outsource to master class dye shops locally in Okayama. Dorozome is only done in Amami Oshima in southern Japan (almost Okinawa still apart of Kagoshia prefecture). Cottle doesn't do dorozome, but I think the closest equivalent of it is kakishibu only in terms of color. Dorozome is mostly a dye that is sourced from the "tetchi" tree and the actual mud part is the mordant stage of the dye.
their weaving is also outsourced. that doesn't mean it's of lesser quality. cottle chose a very good company. as does visvim.

Last edited:

pastrystar23

Reaction score
To me this is the huge difference, and why I feel like Cottle deserves it's price. Visvim is just ridiculous.

And honestly I have not been that impressed with the quality of the visvim pieces I own, especially at their price point. The designs can be great, but materials/construction not so much. Cottle on the otherhand goes above and beyond on those metrics.

IMO (and sadly) it seems like with current Visvim you're paying mostly for the name and hype, like any other major fashion brand.
no, visvim is not like every other brand. most brands don't make 6 of something and sell them for 25k each: just for the sake of keeping an embroidery business alive. If you cannot sense the quality of visvim pieces, then you need to educate yourself on fabrics and on what is actual quality. visvim's quality has only gotten better with every season. it's not a brand most people are personally exposed to.

pastrystar23

Reaction score

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The assessment of quality should be separated from that of integrity. A Ralph Lauren or J Crew garment isn’t bad simply because they’re big companies and an independent small company’s item isn’t good just because it’s small. Same applies to food and film.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
their weaving is also outsourced. that doesn't mean it's of lesser quality. cottle chose a very good company. as does visvim.
You know there is a feature that allows you to quote and respond to multiple posts, right?

Also, I don't think we need to proselytize Visvim here, there is already a dedicated thread. Let's stick to Cottle and what makes it special.

Crandnew

Reaction score
I just got my first cottle items. Zen whispering in authentic indigo, and the slim straight light indigo denim. Toshi gave great sizing advice. The shirt fits very drapery but perfect in the length. The jeans were slimmer than I thought but are a very flattering fit, and seem to already be stretching a little. Both are really nice products.
Don’t quite get the Visvim comparison. Visvim seem to cut their clothes a lot different. The cottle pieces seem to fit the 45rpm comparison much better, though they are not the same.

I’m planning to order more cottle. Does anyone know the threshold where I’ll get hammered with customs shipping to the US? That will definitely factor in to how I space out shipments.

RuffyD

Reaction score
the total length is 91cm which seems pretty long

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the total length is 91cm which seems pretty long
They’ve definitely been shortened though, haven’t they? Cottle and Tempo show a range of between 84 and 89 cm for the inseam alone on size 4s, and the total length would be a measure of the outseam, unless I’m mistaken, and would therefore include the top block/rise. In which case, 91cm would be much shorter than any pair of jeans I own, which are approximately the same waist size. I’m sure you’re correct in thinking they might not come up short—and this is, of course, all relative—but just want to know whether I’m misinterpreting the data.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got my first cottle items. Zen whispering in authentic indigo, and the slim straight light indigo denim. Toshi gave great sizing advice. The shirt fits very drapery but perfect in the length. The jeans were slimmer than I thought but are a very flattering fit, and seem to already be stretching a little. Both are really nice products.
Don’t quite get the Visvim comparison. Visvim seem to cut their clothes a lot different. The cottle pieces seem to fit the 45rpm comparison much better, though they are not the same.

I’m planning to order more cottle. Does anyone know the threshold where I’ll get hammered with customs shipping to the US? That will definitely factor in to how I space out shipments.

$800 USD.

Also https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...g-questions-and-stories-thread.328145/page-77

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure on the US, but I use Zenmarket for the UK as a proxy to reduce the value of the parcel. Just had my first Cottle piece arrive yesterday. Akane Hoodie. Will post a picture later, but really happy. Really nice pink. Anyone know what the free bag is that came with their order? Looks like it would hold a bottle of wine?!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads