• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cottle

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Although that is largely the dyes I think. Some pieces I would say are more reasonably priced than Visvim.

Their hoodies are more expensive than Visvim, but there doesn't seem to be an increase in price for buying in USD.

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their hoodies are more expensive than Visvim, but there doesn't seem to be an increase in price for buying in USD.

Not all of them are? Unless I am mistaken? If you look at the Akane compared with the Kakishibu, there is a big difference. But what would Vis charge for the latter? Not sure what effort goes into them to make them cost that much.

The Akane is 43k inc tax, the recent pink Vis hoodie was 66k.

I do agree that there is no mark up massively for the US retail. That's I guess the main thing. On Tempo's site, they are around the $430 mark.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah you're right, I just assumed the hoodies would be similar prices to the sweats.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The huge difference being that Cottle actually make the clothes they sell. Visvim outsources all production.

To me this is the huge difference, and why I feel like Cottle deserves it's price. Visvim is just ridiculous.

And honestly I have not been that impressed with the quality of the visvim pieces I own, especially at their price point. The designs can be great, but materials/construction not so much. Cottle on the otherhand goes above and beyond on those metrics.

IMO (and sadly) it seems like with current Visvim you're paying mostly for the name and hype, like any other major fashion brand.

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see that with some pieces. Having bought some Filmelange pieces recently, I wonder sometimes where the additional coat from Vis is coming from.

@BandannAlmanac - Are any of the Cottle hoodies the equivalent of dorozome? I ask as I am believe that is only done in one part of Japan so would have to be outsourced. Unless I am wrong.

Samer

Reaction score
Don’t sleep on the giant silk neppy grandpa cardigan
6707A5AD-2A43-4547-88F1-2648A48DA0CC.jpeg
53460037-4563-4DA2-ADE6-B6CA76FEDF81.jpeg

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
re: hoodie, i'm 186cm/80kg and the 4 was way too massive for my taste. even the 3 is very generous, and (imo) too long in the sleeves particularly.
I can see that with some pieces. Having bought some Filmelange pieces recently, I wonder sometimes where the additional coat from Vis is coming from.

@BandannAlmanac - Are any of the Cottle hoodies the equivalent of dorozome? I ask as I am believe that is only done in one part of Japan so would have to be outsourced. Unless I am wrong.

Their dyeing is outsourced (like pretty much everyone) since they are not a dyeing company. They do outsource to master class dye shops locally in Okayama. Dorozome is only done in Amami Oshima in southern Japan (almost Okinawa still apart of Kagoshia prefecture). Cottle doesn't do dorozome, but I think the closest equivalent of it is kakishibu only in terms of color. Dorozome is mostly a dye that is sourced from the "tetchi" tree and the actual mud part is the mordant stage of the dye.

Last edited:

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
To me this is the huge difference, and why I feel like Cottle deserves it's price. Visvim is just ridiculous.

And honestly I have not been that impressed with the quality of the visvim pieces I own, especially at their price point. The designs can be great, but materials/construction not so much. Cottle on the otherhand goes above and beyond on those metrics.

IMO (and sadly) it seems like with current Visvim you're paying mostly for the name and hype, like any other major fashion brand.

I mean Nakamura worked at Burton so what do you expect! Look at all the hype beast brands that hatched from that company? They are all brand image... very little to do with actual hands-on craftsmanship.

pastrystar23

Reaction score
The huge difference being that Cottle actually make the clothes they sell. Visvim outsources all production.
no they don't, Visvim does not outsource ALL production. Cubism, the holding company of Visvim actually produces much of their wares (some of it is actually produced in Nakamuras house). All of the custom fabrics that visvim uses are obviously outsourced to highly regarded craftsmen, that's part of the visvim ethos, utilizing age old processes and techniques but applying it to modern cut and styled clothing allows these companies to remain in business.

cottle makes beautiful clothes with outstanding quality. and if I were to compare the two, Cottle would be like Loro Piana and Visvim would be more like Gucci. Both make quality stuff, but obviously one is more fashion/trend oriented.

Last edited:

pastrystar23

Reaction score
I mean Nakamura worked at Burton so what do you expect! Look at all the hype beast brands that hatched from that company? They are all brand image... very little to do with actual hands-on craftsmanship.
what nakamura gleaned from burton was how to use goretex and other technical fabrics and probably some marketing knowlege. comparing visvim with something like supreme is laughable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads