• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cottle

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
I really like their denim western shirt and some of the sweaters plus obviously the fleece. I don't love the pre distressed stuff, just because I know that it takes a lot of water consumption to get pants to be like that. For me a brand all about natural dyes should try and be as green as they can, logically there are limits to it too though.

How do you "know"? Did you go to the washing factory and see? You're obviously not aware that Japan has incredibly strict water reclamation laws and the costs for doing washing in Japan is way higher than other countries because they have to follow strict guidelines set by the central government to protect the environment. To get a distressed look there really isn't all that much water involved anyways. Comparatively there is more done in washing/bleaching fabric which any fabric on the planet goes through before its processed into product. Not to mention all the water thats wasted on processing cotton for denim yarn. It isn't really the distressing thats the problem... FYI

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I don’t mind being corrected, I just see it often parroted in conversation about water spent by the cotton industry, and that distressing and washing jeans uses a lot of water. If that isn’t true, then that’s good to know. Still don’t love the distressed or washed stuff IMO. Different strokes for different folks,

Last edited:

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for picking up a pair. Yours came out really nice, the color fade on the sashiko is quite nice for an overdye.

Nice to see you on here! Yeah that was my thought. These are going to be great in a few months. They're already starting to soften up nicely. I bet the undyed pairs are crazy comfortable.

You said you had a couple other pairs dyed too? Were they all kakishibu or did you get any in indigo?

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Nice to see you on here! Yeah that was my thought. These are going to be great in a few months. They're already starting to soften up nicely. I bet the undyed pairs are crazy comfortable.

You said you had a couple other pairs dyed too? Were they all kakishibu or did you get any in indigo?

I did two more pairs in kakishibu. The rest are undyed unless requested.

Glad to hear they are working out okay. The fabric is very soft and super comfortable I debating with myself whether knits or sashiko dobby fabrics are more comfortable now...

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Well I don’t mind being corrected, I just see it often parroted in conversation about water spent by the cotton industry, and that distressing and washing jeans uses a lot of water. If that isn’t true, then that’s good to know. Still don’t love the distressed or washed stuff IMO. Different strokes for different folks,

It may be true for other countries... As far as Japan is concerned the story is different from what you seem to have heard. As for Cottle, they don't produce mountains of distressed product, as far as I know each one is made-to-order for the most part. I am pretty sure there is an interview with them somewhere that explains their ecological fashion stance.

Summer Eyes

Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread bc I have been obsessing on Cottle since I interacted with it @ 180 The Store last year. Beautifully executed clothing, some of the nicest fabric and finishing I have ever seen, top quality. I literally just joined SF so I could join this thread, I haven't participated on a forum since the heyday of Superfuture, almost 15 years ago.

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread bc I have been obsessing on Cottle since I interacted with it @ 180 The Store last year. Beautifully executed clothing, some of the nicest fabric and finishing I have ever seen, top quality. I literally just joined SF so I could join this thread, I haven't participated on a forum since the heyday of Superfuture, almost 15 years ago.

Great! Nice to have a new face. If you have any questions I am close with the couple that runs the brand and factory, so feel free.

Summer Eyes

Reaction score
Great! Nice to have a new face. If you have any questions I am close with the couple that runs the brand and factory, so feel free.
Hey thanks man, been a long time since I’ve been inspired. I had a feeling, I was stalking your website after reading the post you put up and then saw the collab pieces on your web shop. So nice!
Curious as to why there is such a difference in price with some of the hoodies, I assume it must be a labor cost, but perhaps it is because of the price of the raw materials for the dyes? It seems like the darker ones are more expensive. There are just so many amazing pieces, I’m dying.

Last edited:

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Hey thanks man, been a long time since I’ve been inspired. I had a feeling, I was stalking your website after reading the post you put up and then saw the collab pieces on your web shop. So nice. I’ll PM you :hide:

They're kind of a collab its hard to get across that COTTLE made stuff for me in a language that is clear to my audience. So i just went with "collab" it was more of a creative director standpoint on my part and COTTLE put the pieces together with their own original patterns. Not sure if that constitutes as a collab per say... regardless thanks for having a look. It is not easy to find people to work with in Japan that are as consistent and open as COTTLE. They also do OEM for a number of small independent brands in Japan. We are working on a few new pieces for this year so it is exciting to see things moving along at this pace.

@Summer Eyes The dyes, anything with an iron mordant ie dark colors requires a bit more time, and resources.

Last edited:

Summer Eyes

Reaction score
They're kind of a collab its hard to get across that COTTLE made stuff for me in a language that is clear to my audience. So i just went with "collab" it was more of a creative director standpoint on my part and COTTLE put the pieces together with their own original patterns. Not sure if that constitutes as a collab per say... regardless thanks for having a look. It is not easy to find people to work with in Japan that are as consistent and open as COTTLE. They also do OEM for a number of small independent brands in Japan. We are working on a few new pieces for this year so it is exciting to see things moving along at this pace.
That’s so rad! I had a feeling looking at it that you were the creative on it. Love the offerings you did with them and I’m psyched to see what’s next! Hey I edited my last comment while you were replying, couple of queries I threw in there.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys wash the botanical hoody?

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's awesome to hear. I'm really loving the easy pants you got kakishibu dyed for me. They're freaking amazing. Starting to soften up, and i'm kind of rolling with them like I would with raw denim. Not going to wash them until I really get a reason to, and see if I can get some sick kakishibu fades.

Excited to see some more cottle stuff coming down the line.

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
How do you guys wash the botanical hoody?

Natural soap, hand wash or machine wash. I wouldn't mess with any detergents when washing it. Hang dry in shade.

Lighter colors are going to fade faster than the darker ones, this is totally normal.

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
I dyed the light sashiko comfort pants I made with Cottle in indigo recently. Haven't had a chance to wear them much since its still winter but they came out really nice I think...

IMG_7651 2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads