• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cotonificio Albini

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this only the brand of the fabric or do they make shirts as well?

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle

I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure they only make shirting, not shirts.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle

I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure they only make shirting, not shirts.

Found this old thread and thought it was worth posting an update with the link to this October 2016 article that was shared with me on the Streetwear board, when I asked a question about YSL dress shirts.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/declane...tom-ford-saint-laurent-and-zara/#a7069ec26f75

My question about YSL dress shirts was spurred by seeing/feeling some up recently, and noting that the fabrics seemed on par with a lot of what I've seen in Zegna shirts I've owned. I had always thought that Zegna was producing their own shirting fabrics, given they are/were at their core, a fabric producer, but after reading this article, it became obvious how pervasively sourced the Albini fabrics are across many labels, even Kiton and Brioni.

I realize that YSL is largely regarded here as a mediocre and very overpriced diffusion line (no argument there), and my original question on the other board was if anyone knows which operation YSL is contracting with to put their shirts together? From the ones I saw the stitching appeared quite nice, albeit all by machine, but aren't essentially all of Zegna's mainline shirts all machine sewn as well? I realize that Zegna doesn't represent the quality of Borelli when it comes to shirts, but aside from Marol, Anna Matuozzo, and other bespoke shirtmakers, how much hand finishing goes into top line labels' shirting vs. all machine work?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads