• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cote de Boeuf

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
For the big hitters like Coho, order from Brian Flannery, he just opened a website and sells what is considered by many to be the best beef in the good ole USA.

Site please?

Has anyone ordered from Niman Ranch, Lobel's, etc?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
Site please?

Has anyone ordered from Niman Ranch, Lobel's, etc?

http://bryansfinefoods.com/

Niman I think is good at their non beef offerings, not crazy about their beef. Lobels is in the sweet spot for those that use $20 bills as toilet paper.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Pan searing has been around for as long as cooking, and a lot of great chefs and great restaurants do it every day.

In my home town there's a great little restaurant called Sander's. It's now at a "new" location, but before 1997 it had resided at a tiny, narrow location (12-14 tables, plus a small bar) for about 15 years. Kim, the chef, has a full kitchen now, but when he was at the old place, pretty much everything was cooked in cast iron skillets in his flea-speck of a kitchen. There was no grill. (As an aside, this never made me sad, as I don't care for gas grills.)

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
http://bryansfinefoods.com/

Niman I think is good at their non beef offerings, not crazy about their beef. Lobels is in the sweet spot for those that use $20 bills as toilet paper.

They make great meatloaf sandwiches. If I am in Marin during the day, I can't help but pick one up.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have access to a tandoor? This is a very good way for the rib steak and also lamb chops. The heat is all around. The meat is lowered into the ultra hot belly of the tandoor and then pulled out when ready. The walls are lined with clay. The meat comes out crusted whilst still moist inside.

Was at a gathering and they had a portable tandoor. Was surprised at how well it worked.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HappymaN
Some premium Australian beef. Ate these ribeye steaks last week. They look quite glossy because they have been preseasoned and some liquid is being drawn out. I normally dry them with paper towels afterwards (because I am extremely generous with the salt), and then brush them with oil before grilling them. I always pepper after cooking as I find that pepper burns easily and takes on a bitter note.
img1923gg5.jpg

I have always avoided salting steaks until immediately before they hit the grill in order to avoid this -- is that wrong?

Originally Posted by GQgeek
I wouldn't expect anyone that was irish to know about good food. Drink? Yes. Food? no.

Just because we couldn't afford good food doesn't mean we could neither know something about it nor appreciate it.
plain.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
I have always avoided salting steaks until immediately before they hit the grill in order to avoid this -- is that wrong?

I don't think I'd say "wrong," but it is misguided. Some say salting far ahead of time dehydrates the meat, but studies have shown that so little water is drawn out that it doesn't really dehydrate it at all. At the same time, it does draw proteins out, which gather on the surface. These proteins aid in the "carmelization" that takes place during grilling/searing, so salting ahead of time is a good thing. That doesn't mean that you're hurting your beef, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics