• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Costume Question

davidnmaker

Reaction score
As the title indicates, the following menswear question is for an on-stage costume, rather than personal use. Therefore, the rules can be bent a little for effect, although I'm consulting y'all for a reason. The costumes will be for The Sound of Music, specifically for Captain Von Trapp. Therefore, the period is the late 1930s, in Europe. As costumes, these will have to have as many reusable elements as possible, because changing from suit to suit backstage and during a 30 second span isn't exactly feasible. Because the costumes will be pieced together and hopefully recyclable as possible while providing visual variety, they're not exactly going to be the pinnacle of SF excellence, but please, work with me. Anyway, what I'm asking for is just an overall opinion of the costumes, both visually and based on historical knowledge. Thank you!

As a note, all costumes will have a white shirt, just because it simplifies the changing. For the same reason, black shoes/belt would be worn.

First scene:
Navy suit. Jacket is a single vent 3/2. Pants are double pleated with cuffs.
Gray fedora (for entrance, is taken off almost immediately), a black overcoat would be worn along with this, again, it would be shortly removed.
Navy/gold striped tie

Second scene:
Glen plaid 6x2 DB with either solid gray pants or black pants. There is a pair of glen plaid pants available, but they're not from the same suit, so I'm worried about it not working together.
Red tie with small elements of blue

Third scene (takes place at a dinner party):
White dinner jacket, black bow tie, black pants

Fourth scene:
probably a darker gray 2-button, unvented Zegna suit. It may be necessary to pair the jacket with black pants as the costume changes following this scene are extremely quick
Same blue tie as previous

Fifth and beyond:
These include very costume-y elements like an Austrian Trachten Jacket, and a white naval jacket for the wedding scene. These probably fall outside of the realm of current menswear, so not quite as important.

Again, thank you for reading! If you have any general comments or questions, please let me know. For example, if you see any conflicting colors or patterns, or consider a costume wildly inaccurate for the time/place. A specific fear I have is actors being "chopped in half" wearing gray jackets with black pants, do you think this concern is valid?

eddyjas

Reaction score
I go for dancing in suitable apparel. I mainly prefer hip- hop. I really love the dancers as they provide variety stylish dressing sense.

Ivar

Reaction score
You seem to know what you're doing. The get-ups for the second and fourth scene are indeed questionable, but I wouldn't worry about that. It's only a stage play, after all.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads