• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Costume National

Histrion

Reaction score
Hi,

I have seen some good comments about Costume National's garments in the past, both here and on the other forum. I have a few questions for our experts.

1. Are the cuts too fashion-forward for an interview with a law firm?
2. What is the retail price that I could expect? I am not willing to buy a suit online as I'm not sure the fit would be ideal.
3. Are these suits appropriate for a guy with my kind of shape? I am 5 foot 8, waist's 30 (perhaps even 29), chest 36-38, it depends I guess*. I don't have a big frame, heh.

Oh, and as for their other clothes, such as polos, are they very slim fit?

*I don't own any jacket so it makes it hard to know. I usually buy 15/38 shirts, and I would assume the 38 is for the chest (I'm a total beginner). However, my brother, who has the same chest size as me, bought a 36 suit jacket the other day.

Thanks a lot!

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Partial answers.

It's a great brand.

It's a bit fashion forward for a law firm, except perhaps entertainment law IMO.

The cut is very slim.

Re: your 15/38 shirt: the 38 is not the chest size; rather it is the approximate centimeter equivalent to the inches. In other words, both are measures of the collar size and have no automatic relation to the chest measure. Many euro shirts come in a standard arm length that may be shortened to suit the individual.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The suits fit quite slim. They are, as mack pointed out, probably not suitable for a law interview, although you would certainly make an impression. And the neck size of the shirts 15/38 correspond to neck, and not chest size, again a pointed out. However, most companies design shirts with proportional neck and chest sizes in mind. I am a 15.75" neck, and wear between a 40-41 (EU) neck size, and a 50Eu in suits. Also, many Costume National shirts, especially casual shirts, are sized on the chest rather than neck size.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's quite fashion forward, with very narrow shoulders. In paris, it's about 1000 euros for a suit. You should try either a 46 or 48 (Italian size).

!luc

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, they are not suitable for a law firm.

They are very avant garde, they have a very slim modern cut, and yes, they do look eye catching. However, some see the gorge/button stance as somewhat of a woman's jacket. Also, if they are still doing the reverse button on the sleeves, I don't think that would go over at a law firm. I think they would be great to stand out at a lounge and to work the ladies however, perhaps.

Histrion

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys!

Are Paul Smith's suits in the same category, i.e.: too fashion-forward?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Histrion
Thanks a lot guys!

Not as much, I think of PS suits more as modern updates on British classics. Of course you will get some designs that are too extreme for a law office, but then again 99% of makers will have a few of those pieces each season. Many of the PS designs will work just fine for you.

lameduck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Histrion
Thanks a lot guys!

I'm about your size, and Paul Smith's suits (36) do not fit me. They are cut on the large size.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, but I think you have been a bit obtuse with the shirt measurements. Histrion wrote, "I usually buy 15/38 shirts, and I would assume the 38 is for the chest (I'm a total beginner)."

When shirts say 15-38 that means a 15" neck and 38" sleeves.

bob

Brian SD

Reaction score
In costume national shirts, however, you do buy based off of your suit size. For example, I wear a 46 in Costume National suits, and a 46 in Costume National Dress Shirts.

They are very slim, yes, but I do think that there are a few models per season that would be appropriate for a law firm interview. Look for one that's 100% wool, and has traditional detailing.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lameduck
I'm about your size, and Paul Smith's suits (36) do not fit me. They are cut on the large size.

hmmm...my experience has been the opposite. My Paul Smith suits and jackets fit on the small side. I usually wear a 38 but go up to 40 in Paul Smith. I agree that many PS offerings will fit in perfectly with a business environment, while some dandy-ish models are more appropriate for social wear.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808

huh? I've never heard of that. And I'm sure I've never seen a 15" neck with 38" sleeve. "15-38" should mean "inch-centimeter" for the neck sizing.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, but I think you have been a bit obtuse with the shirt measurements. Histrion wrote, "I usually buy 15/38 shirts, and I would assume the 38 is for the chest (I'm a total beginner)."

bob
C'mon, bob. If the guy had 38" sleeves, what RTW suit would fit him?

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. It's 15" / 38cm. Most of my shirts in france have a 38 size, which means a 38cm neck size. i.e : 15 x 2.54 = 38.1

!luc

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808

bob

Bob, I know what you're thinking of here, but shirts that are sized neck/sleeve would generally come in a choice between 15/32-33 and 15/34-35. 15/38 does indeed refer to inches/centimeters; I'm a 15.5/39.

Tom

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads