• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Costume National/RLBL Suits

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
im a med student and i needed a suit for interviews and receptions. I was looking at a couple costume national suits online and tried on a RLBL suit. The ralph lauren seemed to fit very well, however, im pretty slim and athletic, so the suit looked very trim and modern. how are the qualities of these two brands comparatively? and would these brands be too fashion foward for interviews and such?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beansprouts1
im a med student and i needed a suit for interviews and receptions. I was looking at a couple costume national suits online and tried on a RLBL suit. The ralph lauren seemed to fit very well, however, im pretty slim and athletic, so the suit looked very trim and modern. how are the qualities of these two brands comparatively? and would these brands be too fashion foward for interviews and such?

I think you'd really need to post photos of the suits you're looking at for any of us to give you a meaningful opinion... Hard to know without seeing what you're describing.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1. That said, RLBL is pretty well-regarded here, especially on sale or through B&S. The question of whether the BL silhouette is suitable for a business environment has also come up before, and I believe the replies leaned towards 'yes'.

Don't know much about Constume National though, so someone else should speak to that.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beansprouts1
The costume national suit i was looking at is this one:

http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?YOOX=CO...269_25_3_1S_70

The black label suit is this but pinstriped. Its on sale for 800 at my local polo store:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

The advertisement you offer does not look like a recommendation. Apart from looking like an ill fitting rag on their model, the words in the website look awful - very difficult to separate its attributes.

I would suggest avoiding this company and its products like the plague.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
The advertisement you offer does not look like a recommendation. Apart from looking like an ill fitting rag on their model, the words in the website look awful - very difficult to separate its attributes.

I would suggest avoiding this company and its products like the plague.

Which suit were you referring to? I think that's more than a bit harsh. I have some Costume stuff that ranges from the slightly more fashion forward to the more classic, and I quick like the fit and the silhouette.

However, one might argue that if the Black Label is slightly better constructed if it is the fully canvassed variety...

I'd probably suggest going with the RL, particualarly if you've tried it on. Ordering suits and jackets online is very hit and miss, and I would go with something I could try on every time, even if I end up paying a bit more. Online sales can be a false economy, especially if you're unsure about sizing and fit.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Label is a great suit, I really like them. But don't get black, get navy. Black is not a suit for business, despite the fact that 99% of the world like to think so.

dk123

Reaction score
Speaking of Yoox, why does practically every product description of theirs say "boning"? What are they referring to.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As i gather you are a 38. I say you should by the Costume National and pick up the (hopefully navy) RLBL and sell it to me
smile.gif
. As I need a navy suit for interviews too...

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size are you? I may have something for you. PM me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads