• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Costs for cross-country move

bryce330

Reaction score
OK, well I got the job in LA, so it looks like I am headed out west.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I am wondering if anyone has made a similar move (I am coming from DC), and if so, approximately how much I can expect to pay (for the contents of a two bedroom apartment).

I can't find any moving companies that will give me an estimate without actually coming and looking at my stuff - I am just looking for a ballpark figure so that I can begin negotiating with my new firm over moving expenses.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bryce330
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I am wondering if anyone has made a similar move (I am coming from DC), and if so, approximately how much I can expect to pay (for the contents of a two bedroom apartment).

I can't find any moving companies that will give me an estimate without actually coming and looking at my stuff - I am just looking for a ballpark figure so that I can begin negotiating with my new firm over moving expenses.

NY chicago, 2 bedrooms, one library, very little "extra" furniture - no guest bed, one couch, no appliances, no treadmill, nothing special in the garage, one flight of stairs at each side, full packing, no unpacking - $8,156. about another $1K for incidentals assosiated with the move.

I would estimate another K for the gas delta to LA.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Congrats. Did you pick an LA neighborhood yet? (I recall your thread asking about neighborhoods several weeks ago.)

Did you ask the new firm if they have somebody they recommend, who might invoice them directly? Or are you trying to negotiate for a flat amount and then come in under that?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

If you go with moving companies, I think they tend to estimate high. They do this to cover their arses if it turns out they've underestimated the amount of stuff or your stuff is heavier than originally anticipated.

bryce330

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Congrats. Did you pick an LA neighborhood yet? (I recall your thread asking about neighborhoods several weeks ago.)

Did you ask the new firm if they have somebody they recommend, who might invoice them directly? Or are you trying to negotiate for a flat amount and then come in under that?

Thanks. I will probably be living in Santa Monica, assuming I can find a nice place in the $2000-2500 range. I checked out a couple of neighborhoods when I was in town for the last round of interviews and I preferred Santa Monica over Culver City, Westwood, and Brentwood, especially since it is only about a 15-20 minute drive from my firm to the beach.

They are sending me a packet of information with some recommended movers but I am not obligated to use them. The recruiting coordinator told me they "typically" pay up to $5000 in moving expenses but I got the sense that might be negotiable.

That figure seems fairly low (especially since I will also be shipping my car, which will cost $1000-1200), but Globetrotter's estimate of $9000 is quite a bit higher than I expected - I may just sell some of my larger furniture if I can't get the firm to pick up more of the tab.

Buster

Reaction score
They are sending me a packet of information with some recommended movers but I am not obligated to use them. The recruiting coordinator told me they "typically" pay up to $5000 in moving expenses but I got the sense that might be negotiable. That figure seems fairly low (especially since I will also be shipping my car, which will cost $1000-1200), but Globetrotter's estimate of $9000 is quite a bit higher than I expected - I may just sell some of my larger furniture if I can't get the firm to pick up more of the tab.
We moved from NY to Chicagoland - 1bd, minimal packing, no unpacking. Original price was $8k. If you are moving with a "recommended" shipper - they sometime give a discount (in our case it was close to 50%). If they need a shuttle to get to your apartment in NY - increase the price by 1k, and the same for the destination.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had very little furniture- a large bed, dinning room table and chairs, couch, kids bed, 2 dressers, a tv. that might be it. 40 boxes or so of books (left the book caes behind). the rest was basically boxes, a whole truck load of boxes.

fareau

Reaction score
If cost is much of an issue, one alternative might be to use a self-packing mover. The company leaves the trailer at your home, you fill it with your belongings, they pick up the trailer and haul it to your destination. They leave the trailer at your new place and you then unload everything yourself; when you are done, they return to collect the trailer. I used a self-packing company and saved a small fortune on my last move. You are charged based upon how much room you use in the trailer, so if you have good spacial awareness and can load a truck effectively, the savings can be great. The details can be found at this website: http://www.upack.com/

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fareau
If cost is much of an issue, one alternative might be to use a self-packing mover. The company leaves the trailer at your home, you fill it with your belongings, they pick up the trailer and haul it to your destination. They leave the trailer at your new place and you then unload everything yourself; when you are done, they return to collect the trailer. I used a self-packing company and saved a small fortune on my last move. You are charged based upon how much room you use in the trailer, so if you have good spacial awareness and can load a truck effectively, the savings can be great. The details can be found at this website: http://www.upack.com/

I think Pods are very similar to what you mentioned.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fareau
My daughter used one of these when she moved to Palm Springs. She saved thousands! I forget which firm, but there were a only couple of "reputable" firms we could find that offered such service.

OOTH, I know someone who actually MAILED their stuff. Using the US Postal Service!

Pink22m

Reaction score
Is there any insurance you can buy for moving? If, or when I have to make a big move, my biggest concern would be not having my furniture come back as immaculate as it was prior to the move. I would be concerned with moving damage, even if the damage was small nicks to the finish.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
Is there any insurance you can buy for moving? If, or when I have to make a big move, my biggest concern would be not having my furniture come back as immaculate as it was prior to the move. I would be concerned with moving damage, even if the damage was small nicks to the finish.

There is such a thing as shipping insurance. I believe a certain amount may come standard as part of the price with the large commercial movers. It also can be separately purchased (my wife used to work in art galleries, so what little I know about this type of stuff I learned from her).

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m

You might want to check your homeowner's insurance. Usually it is covered if you move.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Always use a large, reputable, national shipper. Nothing worse than having your possession held hostage.

2. Estimates are free. You SHOULD have a few come to your place and do an estimates, especially since you are not getting any meaningful dollar estimates so far on this forum. Lots of NY-Chicago talk.

3. Shipping estimates are based on gross weight and distance. Have you considered not having your car shipped to save the extra expense? I concur with the previous post about saving additional money by packing and unpacking yourself.

4. Depending on what kind of job and position you secured, the company provides different amount for moving expenses. You should find out exactly how much you are allowed.

5. Save all receipts, save some taxes come next year.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went the opposite direction Washington to Maryland in 2002.

I had a two bedroom house that was mostly empty. My major contents:

bed
desk
kitchen table and chairs
book cases
many many many boxes of books.
tv

I paid less than $2k and the majority of it was the gas fee--which would be much higher now, I imagine. My weight was almost negligible (sp?) on the cross-country truck. I can't remember who I used, sorry.

Just have them come over and give you the estimate. It can vary widely.

bob

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics