• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Costco Shoe Tree Damaged My Shoe - News at 11

why4009

Reaction score
Or so I think. I have not worn these pair of Allen Edmonds in a while and last night as I was organizing my shoes came across this. The costco shoe trees (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=72806) have been in for a couple of months and I don't recall the damage there before.

The costco shoe trees were for sizes 8-11. I heard they ran a bit large (after buying them). I am a 9.5D and figured I would be ok.

Do you think the shoe tree could have caused that separation? Can this be fixed for a reasonable price?

Or should I return all 8 pairs of the shoe trees, the last thig I want is more damage to my other shoes.

Thanks.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You would have had to have jammed them in there pretty hard--I mean, really, really hard, and even then, it would be difficult to do that with a shoe tree. Nor is that the place that you'd expect an oversized shoe tree to exert the most force.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt it was from the shoe tree. but if you believe it was, please provide more information.

why4009

Reaction score
My biggest concern is whether or not I should continue to use the shoe trees that I bought from Costco. It could have been something else entirely that caused the damage and I wasn't aware of it earlier and I am ok with that.

I just don't want to keep using the trees if it could be causing damage. I am going to have the shoe looked at today at a shoe repair shop.

I worry sometimes because the shoe trees seem really compressed while in the shoe and I have this weird thought they are stretching the shoes out. Just paranoia, I guess.

Thanks.

Why4009

why4009

Reaction score
Just got back from the shoe repair place and he can fix it for 10 bucks.

He did say the shoe trees were too big. But he said it was ok for a couple of pairs of shoes that I have, but for most of the shoes he said the trees were too big, so I might be selling some costco shoe trees soon!

He is putting topys on some of my shoes for 18 bucks, which is almost half of the price of other places in LA for a half sole.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump, I also received some costco shoe trees, and they barely fit in my AE 9.5Ds as well..

I ended up rotating some shoe trees to put these in my bigger pairs... they seem almost too wide... anyone else?

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why4009
Just got back from the shoe repair place and he can fix it for 10 bucks.

He did say the shoe trees were too big. But he said it was ok for a couple of pairs of shoes that I have, but for most of the shoes he said the trees were too big, so I might be selling some costco shoe trees soon!

He is putting topys on some of my shoes for 18 bucks, which is almost half of the price of other places in LA for a half sole.

I'll buy a couple pairs off of you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads