• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corthay

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lol, true, however these were probably the fastest. They are in fairly bad shape at the moment. If somebody wants to buy them for like $60 let me know. Mind you, they need a resole.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
I would agree with you, however, that I find it hard to part with $1200 for a pair of GY welted shoes when Vass and St. Crispin's are comparable, and often cheaper, in price.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I mean my Corthays' before MTO charge and tax were $1,450. My St. Crispin's in calf are $1,650. At that price point what is another $200 to get Crispins, which are better constructed shoes, fit me better, I like the styling better on, and from my experience have better customer service and servicing of shoes. For me personally it is a no-brainer.

TomW

Reaction score
My experience matches yours completely. St. Crispin wins hands down on all points. For the small price difference there is a world of difference in the experience.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all due respect to the detractors of Maison Corthay - I am sorry to hear about your disappointing experiences. I have nothing but great things to say about Pierre and his shoes: I own seven pairs of Corthays and have experienced nothing of the quality and service issues that have been brought up. The style, patination, last and color choices all work for me. And Pierre and his crew have been nothing short of great to deal with.

Which is not to say I am not a fan of St Crispin's and Phillip Car and team. Also a joy to deal with.

Your singular experiences with the Corthays that disappointed you do not necessarily extend to everyone else, and nor do I think it explains why there isn't a bigger following in the SF community. My experience can certainly not be generalized either, so let's allow others to chime in and/or try the brand themselves.

Or, then again, maybe it is to my interest not to promote Corthay. Why endure potentially greater competition for limited stocks in the US? Alright: I take it all back. Corthay sucks. Do NOT go for 'em when you get emails from vendors about a restock. Leave them to me. :)

Ejirardo

Reaction score
I own three pair of Corthays and two pair of Saint Crispins and I get equal enjoyment out of both. I find the Corthay fit to be on par with my Saint Crispins. For future pairs of I would go with Saint Crispin as I do like the style a bit better and the quality is also to me slightly better, but I have no complaints with my Corthays and they are holding up well after 4 plus years. Here is a pair of Corthay I am wearing today.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own three pair of Corthays and two pair of Saint Crispins and I get equal enjoyment out of both. I find the Corthay fit to be on par with my Saint Crispins. For future pairs of I would go with Saint Crispin as I do like the style a bit better and the quality is also to me slightly better, but I have no complaints with my Corthays and they are holding up well after 4 plus years. Here is a pair of Corthay I am wearing today.

Thanks for posting, Ejirardo!

Corthay Cocteau in lie de vin, with Patek 3940P:

Corthay Kleber in bergeronette, no burnishing, with Patek 5040J:

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So who got the Corthays off of Yoox?

And how muc where they?

qubed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got a scratch right on the front of my Aubergine Corthays. Anyone got a suggestion on what to do with it?

qubed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, polish them with what?

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random pic taken in the tube. Arca & Alden Indy.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got a scratch right on the front of my Aubergine Corthays. Anyone got a suggestion on what to do with it?

Is the scratch extremely deep or is it a superficial nick? A good cobbler can usually polish out minor nicks with matte/cream. If it's a real gouge then it may have to be sent to Corthay for refinishing...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads