• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Correction for bad posture

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My posture needs to improve. I constantly catch myself slouching my shoulder, and do not have my spine fully erect. I really want to appear as more confident and healthy, is there any corrective product out there that will help with this issue?

bmathe02

Reaction score
Do work outs that work on your shoulder girdle area.

bmathe02

Reaction score
Also if you think it's your spine I suggest you consult an orthopedic surgeon and have x rays done. I have slight kyphosis myself ( hunch on top of spine offset by inward curvature in center. Think the letter S as your spine in profile thou that's a drastic example.)

Then there's the normal hunch back which starts with letter L or something similar the name escapes me.

I doubt you are under 18 years of age as then a back brace would be in order.

But regardless a lot of people have slight cases of these in varying degrees so you should keep an eye on it with follow up X-rays done every 3 years or so says my doc.

But do the exercises as they strengthen those back muscles that hold your posture.

uzairh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yoga helps fix posture.
Stuff like sun salute, cobra pose, floor bow pose, locust pose will help.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you sit at a desk in front of a screen a lot you need to pull.

Row barbell or dumbbell
Deadlift
chinups

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw an osteopath who started manipulations and had me stretch every day and start lifting weights. The general strategy included stretching out my chest muscles and strengthening my back muscles, although I've also had a lot of work done on my hips because my pelvis tilted forward excessively. After 6 years, my posture is now better than it's been since I was about 13, I've put on about 20-25 pounds of muscle, and I actually have back muscles. I recommend you see an osteopath who does manipulations, though recognize that the rest of the medical community looks down on osteopaths.

Edit: My back and hip pain, the reasons I initially went to the osteopath are also gone.

Last edited:

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your responses and feedback. I saw a lot of workouts/exercises, does anyone have any experience on straps and aftermarket supportive gear that you can wear that might help? I have been working out the past 2 days. So out of shape :embar::embar:

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for all of your responses and feedback. I saw a lot of workouts/exercises, does anyone have any experience on straps and aftermarket supportive gear that you can wear that might help? I have been working out the past 2 days. So out of shape :embar::embar:

Start light, don't use straps and gear yet. Focus on form. Jump into the random health/exercise thread if you want tips on diet, exercise selection, etc.

smallfry

Reaction score
Assuming you sit at a desk in front of a screen a lot you need to pull.
Row barbell or dumbbell
Deadlift
chinups

Yes more back exercise will help but if you naturally slump you will just have a big back that's hunched.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What product could there be? Just be self-aware.

I started reading comics in high school and noticed the character's posture, so around 15-16 I began to emulate it. I'm 27 and still have great posture today because it's natural by now. It all started from a metal check when I would stand from a sitting position.

MetManChris

Reaction score
DON'T GET A BACK BRACE! OH GOD, worst possible idea. Getting a back brace will make your lumbar and thurrasic spine WEAKER. Why would you want to do that?

Do some work trying to increase mobility in your back. Lumbar circles, T-spine circles. T spine glides both foreward to back, and side to side. That will help loosen up your back a bit.

More importantly than any of that though, what kind of shoes are you wearing? How much time you do spend sitting in front on a desk? This will help me give you a better idea of what to suggest.

People suffer from bad posture usually from a lack of spine mobility, as well as bad shoes. If you have huge padded shoes, its putting your body into the wrong posture every time you stand up. Being barefoot would probably help alot of this. PM me if you like, and I'll explain it more.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What product could there be? Just be self-aware.

I started reading comics in high school and noticed the character's posture, so around 15-16 I began to emulate it. I'm 27 and still have great posture today because it's natural by now. It all started from a metal check when I would stand from a sitting position.

+1 make sure that you remember to check your posture threw out the day

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads