• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Correcting the break on my shoes

nohomo

Reaction score
I just got the AE Cliftons, and they seemed to have broken in incorrectly today. I'm wondering if theres any way to fix this, or if it'll just even out over time, or if i'm screwed.

img00073q.jpg

Apologies for my crappy cell phone pic, but as you can see on the pic, the left shoe is causing discomfort b/c the break is too low and towards the inside of the shoe, effectively poking the base of my toes when i walk. The right shoe is how I would want it to break, with it being in the center and about half an inch above the cap.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you have the right size? I find shoes break in the "wrong" places if they are even 1/2 size off.

nohomo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Are you sure you have the right size? I find shoes break in the "wrong" places if they are even 1/2 size off.

I would hope so, unless my feet are two different sizes, since it's only the left one that's incorrect. But my feet are snug but not tight, no heel slippage, and I did try on half a size bigger and smaller in stores.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your feet could very well be different sizes, as most people's are. I'm not suggesting anything dramatic - could be 1/4" size off and narrower, for example. Could be causing the difference in where the shoe is creasing. At least for me, the shoe creases much further below the cap, but that is on shoes with elongated lasts. Your shoes, perhaps because of the angle of the pic and the last itself, a bit stubby. Maybe it is creasing where it should be generally.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen on a pair of churchs shoes. The crease was behind my toenail and because of the way it pressed it pretty much stopped me from walking in them. What I did was relace the shoes in the Barker black way instead of straight bar lacing and it moved wear the shoe breaks and they fit fine now. Only problem is that there is still a crease line where they used to break.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Some shoe repair shops can put a piece of leather inside the shoe, above your toes to change the way the shoe breaks. Union Works in Tokyo did this for me.

If you concern is only the pain, you could tape a quarter to the top of your toe where the pressure from the incorrect break rubs, and wear the shoes for a few hours. That might be enough to change the way the shoes break and reduce the pain.

I do suspect that whatever you do, the crease line will be there to stay.

Bic

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the shoes are too short and your toes are crammed too far into the toe box. The base of your toe should be closer to the lacing, right, and not up in the cap.

Just a guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics