• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Correcting someone who minorly short-changed you

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always been a bit unsure as to the etiquette when it comes to someone short-changing you, but only by a small amount, say $0.50. Part of me naturally wants to correct them so as to let them know they made an error, for their ultimate benefit in not short changing the next person. But the other part thinks because the amount is so trivial, it could be seen as a sign of bad character or selfishness, or simply a lack of dignity or worth to care about something so petty.

How do you guys deal with these situations, and whats your reasoning? There's a poll also above.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hardly ever check change, but when I do and find I've gotten too much or little I say something.

Incman

Reaction score
I'm a pretty analytical and observant person, so I generally scan over the change right as it's handed to me. If I notice an issue right there, I'll bring it up, regardless of the amount (obviously not like $0.01, but for $0.50, definitely). If I get out to the car/home before I notice, then I won't bother unless it's a substantial amount.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the situation and the person. With some friends it's an easy you-get-me-this-time, i'll-get-you-next-time relationship. With others, I know I'll never see that money back unless I say something.

Most of the time though, I won't say anything.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol this reminds me of a time where my friend covered the bill for 4 with a $100 after tip, and asked the waitress for $1 change. Turns out we under-tipped so he ended up giving her a few more bucks in the end after the fact.

Usul

Reaction score
Sometime a clerk will give me small disk of metal with faces on them, I throw them on on the ground. Trash money.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I rarely check, but if someone were to short me $.05 I'll bring it up.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
are you for real? like, in a financial transaction and someone gives you incorrect change? why should you feel even the slightest bit of reservation or embarrassment at asking them to transact the exchange properly?

if it's a friend or something for whom you grabbed a sandwich or something, that's different.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well it's still a means of correction, and like you wouldn't always correct certain people in your life at certain times (teachers, parents, relatives, elders, etc.) you might similarly feel inclined not to correct a cashier or a salesperson if the amount is trivial.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
are you for real? like, in a financial transaction and someone gives you incorrect change? why should you feel even the slightest bit of reservation or embarrassment at asking them to transact the exchange properly?

if it's a friend or something for whom you grabbed a sandwich or something, that's different.

+1
its my money. frankly, I find that its more common for me to catch mistakes in the stores favor, and I always point it out - I don't want the minumum wage clerk to be short at the end of shift.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I always point it out - I don't want the minumum wage clerk to be short at the end of shift.

This is exactly why making the correction, consistently and fairly, is the only correct answer.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
you might similarly feel inclined not to correct a cashier or a salesperson if the amount is trivial.

um, why not?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my brother worked in the restaurant industry so he always checks change ect..

the most common way you'll get fleeced is the when you pay directly at a cashier in a diner. they can press in a 3% tip then you get your change less three percent, but then you calculate a tip and then leave the customary 15% (or more). so the cashier ends up pocketing that 3% tip.

he gets to the point where he can even sense if the cashier is going to do it and bets me if they do. basically if you're busy and in a rush (with family running late ect) they'll try to pull it off.

if its in any type of business you can go ahead and bring it up. its your money.

if its between friends... ******* its 50 cents... hell even a dollar its no biggie.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peruse it tirelessly to the highest conclusion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads