• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Correct posture for erging?

godofcoffee

Reaction score
I've been erging a lot over Christmas break, and it's been wreaking havoc on my lower back. I used to row competitively in high school and college, but after quitting I've started to sit up straighter on the ergs. I'm worried that this "improved" posture might be the cause of my problems. Could it be that the classic rower hunch is actually best for your back in addition to the best way to generate power?

Anyone else with ideas on this? I used to notice at competition that rowers from other countries (I'm from Canada) often sit up straighter and use less back in their stroke. Maybe that's why Canada crushes so often at competition.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its possible that the improved posture is messing with your back. But if you've picked up rowing after a long hiatus is it possible you are pushing your body too hard, thinking you can just pick up were you left off competitively?

I also agree with you that its odd too see some top class olympic rowers with such an exaggerated hunch at the catch. I guess if your strong enough then it should be ok. But the entire crew would have to have a similar hunch at the catch to not throw off balance yes?

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
I like the vid I posted in another thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...0&postcount=70 Thread is frequented by some other rowers, some 'retired'.

Interesting, I'll have to take a look. It looks like I already do pretty much what the video suggests, so it's weird that I'm having these problems.

Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Its possible that the improved posture is messing with your back. But if you've picked up rowing after a long hiatus is it possible you are pushing your body too hard, thinking you can just pick up were you left off competitively?

I also agree with you that its odd too see some top class olympic rowers with such an exaggerated hunch at the catch. I guess if your strong enough then it should be ok. But the entire crew would have to have a similar hunch at the catch to not throw off balance yes?

The point about picking up rowing again is probably correct. As far as the hunch goes, the hunch at the catch seems like a natural way to get the most out of your stroke to me, but the hunch at the finish that a lot of rowers (including myself) do seems somewhat less intuitive.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could it be you're using too much resistance?

50 Eggs

Reaction score
The classic rower hunch is a result of being flexible enough to have straight shins at the catch. A lot of intermediate rowers reach at the catch and create a "c" formation in the back. It even may look right to them in a mirror, but the fact is they are not going to generate nearly as much power from from the quads. Additionally, you put a lot of strain on the lower back on the drive as you reverse the "c."

Since you are sitting up straighter, are you using your lower back to drive versus your legs?

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 76 16.8%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 150 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 75 16.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 37 8.2%