• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corporate hands

parsonsdb

Reaction score
I am in college, I lift about an hour or hour and a half every day. When I lift I don't wear gloves, hence, my hands palms and fingers are rough as heck. My question is should I start wearing gloves to get soft corporate hands? Or as long as my hands, nails and cuticles look nice is that ok?

bcmc

Reaction score
Wear gloves. It will take some getting used to, but in the corporate world, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. A mans hand-shake is very important to future employers, associates, or clients. Rough hands scream out redneck.

Dalton

Reaction score
I too have the same problem of my hands getting ate up every time I lift. However, I refuse to wear gloves in a public gym because I don't want to look like a total meathead (no offense if anyone on this forum wears gloves). Are there any other solutions or are we stuck with rough hands?

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
You could pick up "second skin" at a drug store and spray your hands before you lift. This way, you are tearing up the second skin and not your hands. Just a thought.

GatorStyle

Reaction score
I don't think wearing gloves makes you look like a "meathead" at all. As many women, older people, and first-timers wear them in my gym as do the most serious lifters.

Personally, I wear them for most exercises but not all so I also get rough skin. Not a problem- the easiest way to deal with that is to use a moisturizer a few times a week. There's tons out there to choose from. I use one from Kiehl's that's made for the hands and other real dry body parts. A few times per week does the trick.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Try Harbinger. I bought a pair from them when I noticed my afternoon lifts were leaving my hands rather tattered and torn. They've got a nice soft cushion and I haven't had a problem with looking like a "no-neck." Also, you could find wraps to wear. These protect your skin and help you control the bar when doing something like power clean or dead lift.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Moved post to Body Consciousness.

binakwan

Reaction score
Try using nike batting gloves or football receiver's gloves when in the gym -- they're sleeker looking than the fingerless weightlifting floves, and they'll give your whole fingers protection. Plus, theyre very stylish with the young "hip hop" crowds...hahaha...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not as confident about my answer as bcmc, but I don't see rough hands as a problem, espectially if you have a strong body. a lot of corporate culture is pretty masculine, and if you are not a redneck and speak well, but still physically tough, it can be a huge advantage. I have only 4 years in a real fortune 1000 corporations, the culture there was very macho. the other places I have worked have been a lot smaller.

I don't like gloves, myself. my hands look like a mess.

PHV

Reaction score
I am in college, I lift about an hour or hour and a half every day. When I lift I don't wear gloves, hence, my hands palms and fingers are rough as heck. My question is should I start wearing gloves to get soft corporate hands? Or as long as my hands, nails and cuticles look nice is that ok?
I used to wear gloves until I thought it looked really rediculous. Lift for a week without gloves and the roughness will go away. I lift some fairly heavy weights, and I'm a violinist, so I wouldn't it affects the suppleness of your hands, except in small pads right below the base of your fingers on your palm. If a corporate mogul can feel those, then he was probably feeling you out for something more than just business...

YMark

Reaction score
After lifting rub some Jack Black hand healer on your hands.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lift for a week without gloves and the roughness will go away. I lift some fairly heavy weights, and I'm a violinist, so I wouldn't it affects the suppleness of your hands, except in small pads right below the base of your fingers on your palm.
This is excellent advice. I lift heavy weights as well and I find that after a while small pads develop at the base of my fingers. Everytime I get out of the shower I use a little Marcelle oil free moisturizer on my hands and face, this works like a charm. Happy lifting.

A.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure than anyone cares if your hands are rough.

I'm a rock climber, and in rock climbing season, my hands are often rough, callused, cut, and scraped. I've not had any negative fall-out from it that I can tell.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Holy crap, this has got to be the oldest thread ever revived.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads