Corporate hands

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by parsonsdb, Mar 12, 2002.

1. parsonsdb

parsonsdb Well-Known Member

I am in college, I lift about an hour or hour and a half every day. When I lift I don't wear gloves, hence, my hands palms and fingers are rough as heck. My question is should I start wearing gloves to get soft corporate hands? Or as long as my hands, nails and cuticles look nice is that ok?

2. bcmc

bcmc Member

Wear gloves. It will take some getting used to, but in the corporate world, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. A mans hand-shake is very important to future employers, associates, or clients. Rough hands scream out redneck.

3. Dalton

Dalton Member

I too have the same problem of my hands getting ate up every time I lift. However, I refuse to wear gloves in a public gym because I don't want to look like a total meathead (no offense if anyone on this forum wears gloves). Are there any other solutions or are we stuck with rough hands?

4. GQ Lawyer

GQ Lawyer Senior member

You could pick up "second skin" at a drug store and spray your hands before you lift. This way, you are tearing up the second skin and not your hands. Just a thought.

5. GatorStyle

GatorStyle Senior member

I don't think wearing gloves makes you look like a "meathead" at all. As many women, older people, and first-timers wear them in my gym as do the most serious lifters.

Personally, I wear them for most exercises but not all so I also get rough skin. Not a problem- the easiest way to deal with that is to use a moisturizer a few times a week. There's tons out there to choose from. I use one from Kiehl's that's made for the hands and other real dry body parts. A few times per week does the trick.

6. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

Try Harbinger. I bought a pair from them when I noticed my afternoon lifts were leaving my hands rather tattered and torn. They've got a nice soft cushion and I haven't had a problem with looking like a "no-neck." Also, you could find wraps to wear. These protect your skin and help you control the bar when doing something like power clean or dead lift.

7. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Moved post to Body Consciousness.

8. binakwan

binakwan New Member

Try using nike batting gloves or football receiver's gloves when in the gym -- they're sleeker looking than the fingerless weightlifting floves, and they'll give your whole fingers protection. Plus, theyre very stylish with the young "hip hop" crowds...hahaha...

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I am not as confident about my answer as bcmc, but I don't see rough hands as a problem, espectially if you have a strong body. a lot of corporate culture is pretty masculine, and if you are not a redneck and speak well, but still physically tough, it can be a huge advantage. I have only 4 years in a real fortune 1000 corporations, the culture there was very macho. the other places I have worked have been a lot smaller.

I don't like gloves, myself. my hands look like a mess.

10. PHV

PHV Senior member

I used to wear gloves until I thought it looked really rediculous. Lift for a week without gloves and the roughness will go away. I lift some fairly heavy weights, and I'm a violinist, so I wouldn't it affects the suppleness of your hands, except in small pads right below the base of your fingers on your palm. If a corporate mogul can feel those, then he was probably feeling you out for something more than just business...

11. YMark

YMark Well-Known Member

After lifting rub some Jack Black hand healer on your hands.

12. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

This is excellent advice. I lift heavy weights as well and I find that after a while small pads develop at the base of my fingers. Everytime I get out of the shower I use a little Marcelle oil free moisturizer on my hands and face, this works like a charm. Happy lifting.

A.

13. Kai

Kai Senior member

I'm not sure than anyone cares if your hands are rough.

I'm a rock climber, and in rock climbing season, my hands are often rough, callused, cut, and scraped. I've not had any negative fall-out from it that I can tell.

14. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Holy crap, this has got to be the oldest thread ever revived.

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

you beat me to it, j.