• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Corporate Casual" Pants

Pantless

Reaction score
Hey folks. This is my first thread--I've gotten a lot of info from you guys by lurking around, so I thought I'd join up and ask a question.

Here's my situation. My dress code at work is the ubiquitous "corporate casual," and I just started working at a place that interprets this fairly loosely (i.e., much more on the casual side than other places I've worked). In the winter I've been wearing J Crew cords almost exclusively.

I now need some pants for the summer but don't know what to get.

I really don't like the standard cotton chinos--they wrinkle up very easily, I don't think they look good enough for the office (funny that I think cords look fine though), they tend to shrink or just get weird in the wash, and ironing/steaming them is a pain. I also don't really like wearing suit pants (or the gabardine/wool pants that look almost exactly like suit pants) because I don't really like the "half a suit" look and I walk about three miles a day, so I like to wear comfortable shoes (like Borns) that I think don't look so good with suit pants.

So . . . any suggestions for non-chino non-suit pants casual pants? I may also investigate more comfortable shoes that look good with suit pants and just go the half-a-suit route. Thanks for any and all replies.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wool trousers are nice, some lightweight slim chinos are great though for the summer heat, if you are in need of any high quality head over to Buying/selling there are tons of incotex/mabitex for sale

Pantless

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the help, folks!! Off to by drop crotch pants, I'll post pics.

uhoh.gif

Eagle

Reaction score
Take a look at BB's Clark's Advantage chinos. They don't wrinkle badly and they come out of the wash needing nothing more that a touch up with the iron to make them look almost new!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A late answer, but probably the best answer:
Wrinkle-resistant/no-iron, lightweight (sometimes the subtype "poplin") chinos, which you might find at retailers such as Lands' End and L.L. Bean.

Linen pants meet the stated criteria of not chinos, but they tend to shrink in length and wrinkle much. Linen/cotton blends are better for work.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
what about 5 pocket chinos like the Levis that gshen has posted

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
A late answer, but probably the best answer:
Wrinkle-resistant/no-iron, lightweight (sometimes the subtype "poplin") chinos, which you might find at retailers such as Lands' End and L.L. Bean.

+1 to this

Also Brooks does a tropic weight wool trouser. Can't say how it wrinkles, etc. If you don't live in a super hot climate, their regular wool trousers can be worm at least a couple times between washing if you hang them right. I used to rock them in DC summers...not always pleasant, but they look good.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think i am one of the few who takes corporate casual serious.

there are people in my office, boat shoes, cords, and a sweater

meanwhile i wear laced leather shoes, wool trousers, mtm shirts, etc

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantless
I really don't like the standard cotton chinos--they wrinkle up very easily, I don't think they look good enough for the office (funny that I think cords look fine though), they tend to shrink or just get weird in the wash, and ironing/steaming them is a pain.

Am I the only one who doesn't mind slightly wrinkled chinos? I tend to only iron mine after I wash them.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I wear drop crotch pants in a corporate office.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads