• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corneliani vs. Canali

GuP

Reaction score
Of the two, which one is regarded as making better suits? I visited Saks recently and the salesman stated that Corneliani suits are better than Canali suits. He went on to say that with Corneliani suits you get the best bang for the buck - a super 150s suit in Corneliani is the same price as a super 120s suit in Canali. He added that in Europe Corneliani is highly regarded and it is just starting to make its way into the US fashion scene. Anyways, I ask because I am about to buy one of these suits very soon.

jkennett

Reaction score
Both are fully-canvassed from what I recall; however, I much prefer the fit of my Corneliani over my Canali.

jkennett

Reaction score
See if Bloomingdale's is having a sale on those suits. I'm thinking that their annual designer sale is coming up in November, and if that's the case you might be able to get one for 30-50% off.

carl_paris

Reaction score
I believe Corneliani is the suit of choice of the king of Sweden, if that helps.
teacha.gif

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Polo suits made in Italy too, they're made by Corneliani.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I like Corneliani, but that's really just a styling preference. If the salesperson is basically telling you that a Super 150's suit is better than a Super 120's suit because 150 is a bigger number than 120, I'd treat any advice coming from him with caution.

They'll both be well-made suits, so within a given price range I'd go with whichever you like more in terms of style and fit.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
+ 1 on ^^ 120 vs 150, from what I understand being on this forum is that 150s are more expensive since the fabric is made from finer, tighter woven wool strands . . . . but it is also more fragile

I don't own any Canali, but the 2 cornelianis I have are perfect fit and styling. I personally do think they are the best bang for the buck

GuP

Reaction score
Well the guy wasn't exactly trying to say that 120s are inferior to 150s suits. He was focusing more on the construtction itself of the Corneliani. He also mentioned that the pants of the Corneliani are re-inforced in the waist a lot more than the Canali. Overall, he favored the Corneliani MUCH more. If the price is about the same, should I opt for the Corneliani then?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beware of suit comparison using "super-this and super-that"

I've own both Canali and Corneliani. From a construction standpoint there is no difference. Both are fully canvassed suits with a bit of handwork, mostly machine made. I consider them entry-level canvassed suit.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GuP
Well the guy wasn't exactly trying to say that 120s are inferior to 150s suits. He was focusing more on the construtction itself of the Corneliani. He also mentioned that the pants of the Corneliani are re-inforced in the waist a lot more than the Canali. Overall, he favored the Corneliani MUCH more. If the price is about the same, should I opt for the Corneliani then?

Opt for the fit and how it makes YOU look. I rather be in a fused suit that flatter my body shape than a completely hand-made suit (if there is such a thing) that ill-fits me.

Try both suits on, look in the three way mirror. See which suit hides your intrinsic body flaws and enhance your attractive aspects. If they both do the same, then I'd go for the one that's cheaper. Again, construction-wise they are equal.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GuP

Fine, but whether the cloth is Super 120's or Super 150's tells you nothing about the construction.
My answer's the same as before, for whatever that's worth. Both will be well-constructed suits. Any differences in construction will likely pale in comparison to difference in how one suit or the other fits your body and your tastes. Don't be intimidated by his sales schtick, even though he may believe it. Buy whichever one feels and looks the best on you.

kshah

Reaction score
I find Canali to be a bit more aggressive and Cornelliani to be more elegant and drapey - I like Cornelliani.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Fine, but whether the cloth is Super 120's or Super 150's tells you nothing about the construction.
My answer's the same as before, for whatever that's worth. Both will be well-constructed suits. Any differences in construction will likely pale in comparison to difference in how one suit or the other fits your body and your tastes. Don't be intimidated by his sales schtick, even though he may believe it. Buy whichever one feels and looks the best on you.

What Lawyerdad is saying is rule 101 on SF . . . Fit rules . . .

in hindsight, my opinion may have been based on how well Cornelianis fit me compared to trying on 100s of other suits . . .

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horndog
Check out Polo suits made in Italy too, they're made by Corneliani.

Probably worth it to mention that the Polo suits have a completely different style than Corneliani. They're also not as well made. Not that they're bad -- I have Polo stuff I quite like. But it's not like buying Corneliani with a reduced price tag.

As many folks here already know, I'm a huge Corneliani fan. They suit my build better than any other RTW I've found. Terrific bang for the buck, too -- really all the suit I need. Canali, on the other hand, rarely floats my boat. Canali sportcoats, in particular, often leave me cold.

NOLA1

Reaction score
Is it just the one Corneliani that I own (and have yet to have tailored) or are all of their shoulders extremely boxy and padded?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads