• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corneliani suit Model " Mantua"

Verrihappy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi, any idea if this is the same as "Leader" with a slim cut and minimally padded shoulders?

Thanks.

SuitMan650

Reaction score
Yes please. There's a Mantua available online, but I don't want to purchase it if the fit isn't the same as the Leader model (tailored fit, lightly padded shoulders). Can someone please answer this question? Thanks

Jim Barns

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Verrihappy
Hi, any idea if this is the same as "Leader" with a slim cut and minimally padded shoulders?

Thanks.

What?

SuitMan650

Reaction score
"Leader" is a model of suit by Corneliani known to have a tailored fit and lightly padded shoulders. What verrihappy and I are wondering is if the "Mantua" model by Corneliani has the same fit. I'm asking because there's a "mantua" online for a good price and I want to make sure that I know what I'm purchasing

mauser

Reaction score
I have both the Leader and the Mantua and they fit quite similarly. If the Leader fits you well, Mantua will not be a disappointment - in my opinion.

SuitMan650

Reaction score
Thank you mauser. Would you say the Mantua has lightly padded shoulders? Bluefly has one, but they said it had "constructive shoulders," which I assumed meant "boxy"

mauser

Reaction score
Yes the shoulder appears to be lighter with the Mantua model. The difference is not that big wearing, at least to my untrained eye, but if I touch the padding, yes it's lighter.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Link to the Mantua suit? I've actually been looking for Mantua slacks

Aloysius16

Reaction score
I am regenerating this old thread as I would really like to know the answer to the same question. I have a second hand Mantua suit in size 52 which fits perfectly. Looking at new Corneliani suits in London today I was told that the Mantua is no longer made and I should try the Leader. However the 52 Leader was much to big and the 50 was almost identical to my 52 Mantua. Is this what I should normally expect? It would be good to know to guide future online orders,

I should note that this was Leader rather not than the 'Leader USA' that I have seen online. I don't know if the USA version has a different fit.

Last edited:

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience is that you need to try Corneliani in the stores. Some brands, like Zegna, fit me true to size. Doesn't mater if it's brand new, 5, 10 or 15 years old, I'm the same size there. Corneliani is all over the place. I use everything between old 48 and new 54. The fits seem to vary from season to season too.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mantua was a more traditional fit, if I recall. Now they have two fits, Leader and Academy (which has skinnier lapels).

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The various Corneliani models I've owned, and how they fit(also compared to Zegna models, for people familiar with those):

Life: Structured and more padded shoulders, mostly roped shoulders and lower button-stance. Very classic fit. Comparable to older Zegna fit Roma. Mostly Drop 6
Leader: Slimmer, shorter, and with softer shoulders. Very similar to Zegna fit Mila. Only seen Drop 7
Grant: Pretty similar to the leader. Maybe the predecessor to that or Mantua, or European version of "Leader USA"? Shoulders were similar. I think the jacket was a big larger and longer than the regular leader. Similar to modern (before being phased out) Zegna fit Roma just a few years ago. Only owned Drop 8
Mantua: Slim cut, similar to Leader, but with more roped shoulders. Almost identical to Zegna Fit Torino. Only owned Drop 6, but it's slim.
Academy: Similar to Leader, but even shorter and with skinnier lapels. You'll probably like these if you're a fan of BB Black Fleece or Thom Browne. Pretty sure this was Drop 8
Easy: Sport coats with natural shoulders and little lining. Drop 7
Tux/smoking/cerim/etc.: Mostly classic styled formal wear with medium to heavily padded shoulders. Drop 6 and Drop 7

Aloysius16

Reaction score
That's really helpful, but I think there is truth in what was said earlier about the same models varying from season to season. The Leader 52 I tried was a lot bigger than my Mantua 52. Perhaps it's because it was a mtm Mantua (although I would have expected the shoulder block to remain the same as the same size OTR model). Label:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads