• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corduroy

jaac

Reaction score

leersa

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I have two wonderful pairs of "dress" corduroys, one from Zegna (wide wale) and one from Brioni (thin wale). They feel great, can be worn for "business casual" or even into work. Two similar shirts are warm, feel great, but are almost impossible to get in and out of overcoats.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Corduroy shrinks badly along the seams--which gives it a disheveled, puckered look. As with raw denim, corduroy must be bought one size too large in each dimension, which makes any purchase a guessing game. To get any wear out of a pair of cords, it must be worn several times between washings. Not too agreeable.

That's why corduroy is a fad cloth. It goes perfectly with today's too-tight fad (designed to exploit the youthful ignorance of Gen Y).

Corduroy was almost totally absent, and now it's everywhere. Get 'em while they last.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Corduroy shrinks badly along the seams--which gives it a disheveled, puckered look. As with raw denim, corduroy must be bought one size too large in each dimension, which makes any purchase a guessing game. To get any wear out of a pair of cords, it must be worn several times between washings. Not too agreeable.

That's why corduroy is a fad cloth. It goes perfectly with today's too-tight fad (designed to exploit the youthful ignorance of Gen Y).

Corduroy was almost totally absent, and now it's everywhere. Get 'em while they last.

What.

Anyways, I have the magenta corduroy Gitman Vintage shirt from Context and the MJK cord shirt. Love them both. Also have a coat that is lined in this black cord fabric...absolutely love it. Very warm.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm very fond of my Levis 5-pocket cords. They're great fall through spring. I also have a nice Polo by RL hunters sport coat in a wide wale cord that works very well in winter as an outerwear kind of jacket. I'd like to pick up a slim-fitting cord sport coat some day but haven't found one yet that I really like.

Corduroy is good. At the same time, I reserve it for the "very casual" category. I'd never buy cord trousers or anything ostensibly dressy in corduroy. That use of cord always has seemed wrong to me.

Racove

Reaction score

Anyone know if this is the same for moleskin? I believe they are similar material w/o the wales. I liked the Epaulet moleskin trousers so much that i picked up S&H 'jean cut' moleskin pants in 32 & 34, but need to decide which to keep. Does it stretch much, shrink much, etc

dougie

Reaction score

Can't buy what I want because it's free.

maikuraki

Reaction score
just got 2 pairs of H&M cordury pants from sale,and i love them.

__CB__

Reaction score
$$$, but number nine do slim cords in some interesting colors (i like the burgundy ones).

not much of a fan of corduroy when done in those (more traditional) murky olive/brown/beige tones.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll stop by Levis next time and check how I should size on 511 to get the fit I want.

Is it ok to stack on corduroys?

mfais

Reaction score
i <3 cords. got a pair coming from nathan soon!! cant wait

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads