Corduroy

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lemmywinks, Dec 29, 2009.

1. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I'm kind of intrigued by the material and for me I'm more interested in pants but this thread is open to discussion of jackets as well.

What type of setting do they fit? Do you wear them like you would khakis or jeans?

What's a good source for slimmer fitting corduroy pants and what are some good colors to get them in?

2. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

i have j.crew corduroys that are basically styled like jeans and that's how i wear them for slouching around. i have a corduroy sportcoat that i wear pretty often which, in austin, pretty much overdresses me for most occasions, even with a tshirt. either way, the ladies seem to get excited by its presence, which is kind of intriguing to me. [​IMG] i avoid the wide-wale stuff like the plague, though.

3. amnesiac

amnesiac Senior member

i like corduroy. it's warm, it's soft. my trouble is finding thick enough corduroy. jcrew's have gotten progressively thinner over the decade, uniqlo's is still a bit thin, but the fit is great. I like their slim no wale cords actually, it's a nice texture even if it still feels like a $20 pair of pants. I also have 2 corduroy shirts and they're very warm and comfy.

i like corduroy blazers too actually, just a bit professorial for me.

4. amnesiac

amnesiac Senior member

5. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

6. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I am wearing a pair of straight fit JCrew cords right now and one of the things I love the most about them is how thin and light they feel. They are super comfortable.

I'm NO expert on cords (recently started wearing them again), but I wear mine like I wear jeans. I would say you can wear them as a replacement for your denim in the majority of situations, just stay away from making things too dressy with your cords. Denim have a lot more leeway then cords do in dressing them up.

Find a pair in a straight or slim fit and make sure the little "rivets" (or whatever they are called) that run long ways down the cords are small. Stay away from brands that have the larger ones.

Again, I'll vouch for JCrew, but I know that Polo's Rugby line has some nice straight legged vintage cords on sale right now. Rugby.com

EDIT: Also after some experimentation I think they look best with a length a little shorter then you would typical wear denim, but with a longer break then you would wear with your casual pants. Somewhere in between.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I have corduroy pants from H&M, GAP and Levis and Levis 511 is by far the most comfortable and best fitting pair.
    [​IMG]

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

My sw cords are pretty much the nicest fabric out of everything on this page, same with cut.

Jcrew, polo cuts are terrible.

9. bsyde82

bsyde82 Senior member

loving my new BoO Waxed cord trousers....courtesy of forward sale + 20% off + leftover credit. nice wale width and the wax? lends it some stiffness which I like. I have apc petit standard cords from this past season, and its just too soft and flimsy...kind of just floats around beneath the knees so I might have to taper it to get it under control.

10. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

I have corduroy pants from H&M, GAP and Levis and Levis 511 is by far the most comfortable and best fitting pair.
    [​IMG]

Levi's 511 has the only good cut for cords under $100 IMO. I've been trying to find these levi's in this color in a size 30 for a while now. Where'd you cop? Urban outfitters didn't have my size. [​IMG]

11. theom-

theom- Senior member

Corduroy seems like it has fallen off the map. Very few designers use it, which is strange because it is such a versatile fabric.

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I got those Levis 511's from Macys a few months ago. I'm kind of regretting not getting the dark brown and grey ones while they were on sale for around $35 while UO has them for $54.

13. Yardsale

Yardsale Senior member

Corduroy seems like it has fallen off the map. Very few designers use it, which is strange because it is such a versatile fabric.

I thought it made quite a comeback this year?

I was wearing my cord blazer a lot last year, and some cord pants this year...

14. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

uniqlo has pretty nice cord jeans, some even in the T-000 super slim version.