• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corduroy Pants as Sign of Stylishness?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In consultations, one item that people don't seem to have is corduroy pants (or corduroy anything, frankly). Would you agree that, at least in the United States and Canada today, a man who (unlike probably most of his peers) wears corduroy pants is relatively likely to be stylish? Just to warn you, or pass the task to someone else, there's an opening for a poll about ownership of corduroy pants.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear a thousand tradsters are already gearing their posting machines up to agree with you.

R-H

Reaction score
I see a lot of 30-ish people wearing cords with canvas shoes and t-shirts. Not particularly stylish.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If style = owns more than blue jeans, then, yes. If style is something more than that, maybe.

Growing up in the 70s, cords were one of the most common pants that kids wore in my American public schools. I will never forget the swish-swish-swish they made as kids walked along.

Wait ... here's an opportunity for another poll. Are cords "swishy"?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Wait ... here's an opportunity for another poll. Are cords "swishy"?

Only Conne would know that.

As I understand it, cords are generally reserved nowadays for those over the age of 30 -- at least according to the "experts".

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Corduroy is in right now, not just for pants, but jackets and suits as well, so you could say corduroy wearers are fashionable. As to stylish, that is a more personal thing, and depends on the way it is worn. I generally feel that those who wear any fabric other than denim or khaki have some style.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think of them as an unstylish garment that can on occasion be made stylish if done right. I think it's easier to wrong and give old dated vibes.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doc4

Reaction score
they can be stylish if done properly.

(Then again, you can say that about a lot of things.)

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good God, no!

They were part of my parochial school uniform -- I can never take them seriously!
plain.gif

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Growing up in the 70s, cords were one of the most common pants that kids wore in my American public schools. I will never forget the swish-swish-swish they made as kids walked along.
I remember this too. Most (maybe all) of mine were cut like jeans, with rivets. I stopped wearing them some time in the early 80s, though I picked them up again as an adult (sans rivets).

FrankDrebben

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Good God, no!

They were part of my parochial school uniform -- I can never take them seriously!
plain.gif

+1, although tan cords, white polo shirt, and brown top siders (my elementary school uniform) is one of my favorite outifts still. I just wouldn't call it particularly stylish.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either they're worn well, or worn atrociously.

I'm disappointed this season embroidered cords seem hard to find.

smoothie

Reaction score
Cord jackets can be stylist(I'm saying this as a 23 year old)
I never seen Cord pants as stylish. Too earthy. Which translates to too grandpa

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They certainly have been fashionable recently. I feel that hip kids have been wearing the slim version for at least seven or eight years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads