1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

corduroy jacket for fall

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thinman, Jul 6, 2005.

1. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

I'm looking for a corduroy jacket for fall, in light brown/dark tan (40L would allow some room for layering). Jos. A. Bank has one in a wool/silk blend on sale for $260, about the top end of my price range (less than $300). I expect it's not great construction, but I don't need top-of-the-line construction in a corduroy jacket and it may be a decent buy for the price.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with this or other JosABank jackets? How will a wool/silk blend hold up compared to cotton? What other options are available (I'd really prefer a wider wale corduroy)? Orvis has a cotton corduroy jacket, but I'm looking for a little more structured look than the Orvis jacket and I don't especially like the elbow patches. I'd appreciate any help.

2. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

Sir,

you might try Press --- they've got the wider-wale and with a 25% disc., which you might get during the sale going on now (if they have any cord jackets left), it would come to be just a tad bit over your price range, but still about $275 or so. You won't get any more structure than Orvis, though, would you?

Horace

3. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

Horace, I visited www.jpressonline.com before I posted and they don't even have a category for jackets/coats. Am I missing something? Edit: just called the JPress store in DC and they won't have corduroy until early August. Any other suggestions? I guess I just don't like the elbow patches on the Orvis jacket. They seem to say "I'm a rumpled college professor". Since I am a rumpled college professor, I don't need the stereotypical symbols.

4. ptolbert

ptolbert Member

I work at JAB- this year's cord is better than last year's.

It will be a good jacket for 2-3 years if you wear it daily.

5. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

Press doesn't have the jackets/suits/overcoats/trousers pictured on their website. You might try calling the other three stores -- I wanted to get a cord jacket myself.