• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corduroy Care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
Can corduroy pants be ironed at all? I have a pair with a few wrinkles in them and was wondering if they can be ironed out at all? Can I just steam them or would tossing them in the dryer for a few help? I thought I read on here that ironing corduroy flattens out the whales on it. Thanks for the help.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrpologuy
Can corduroy pants be ironed at all? I have a pair with a few wrinkles in them and was wondering if they can be ironed out at all? Can I just steam them or would tossing them in the dryer for a few help? I thought I read on here that ironing corduroy flattens out the whales on it. Thanks for the help.

I think I read on some earlier thread that they can be ironed inside out.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
I press mine through a thin linen tea towel lightly using a steam iron at full steam. Don't press down too hard with the iron!
Never use a hot iron stright on to cord or it will flatten the wales & create shine on the fabric.
Pressing inside out creates odd inverted creases in the front (think about it).

l.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ironing inside out works fine for me.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Ironing inside out works fine for me.

How do you get the front creases looking right?

I suspect you have a secret I'd love to learn!

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larry Lean
How do you get the front creases looking right?

I suspect you have a secret I'd love to learn!

No secret really. Since they are flat front casual pants, I usually forego the creases and just iron them flat. That said, it shouldn't be a problem to press a crease into them while inside out if you wanted to. I sometimes send them out for dry cleaning if I want them pressed and creased.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Larry: Can you get a decent crease with your method? I usually don't care that much about it with cords, but I'm merely curious.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Yes the regular pressing works just fine & you can get a nice crease just as sharp as you want it to be... Not that it will last for too long with cords unless you've lightly starched them first, but then doing that starts to get a little bit too fussy for such a soft, casual item of clothing.

Pressing in front creases inside out will result in a crease that goes in instead of pointing out.
Take a pair of pressed trousers & turn them inside out & you'll see how the crease forms a furrow down the front not a ridge.
(Hope I've managed to explain that in a way that's understandable!)

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larry Lean
Yes the regular pressing works just fine & you can get a nice crease just as sharp as you want it to be... Not that it will last for too long with cords unless you've lightly starched them first, but then doing that starts to get a little bit too fussy for such a soft, casual item of clothing.

Pressing in front creases inside out will result in a crease that goes in instead of pointing out.
Take a pair of pressed trousers & turn them inside out & you'll see how the crease forms a furrow down the front not a ridge.
(Hope I've managed to explain that in a way that's understandable!)

I think there is a difference between pants and cords. I wear cords primarly as casual wear. I am not sure that creases in cords are even important, or needed in the first place. IMHO, If I had pleats on my cords (which will most likely never happen), I would just want the pleat pressed and not the whole crease to my ankle. Just my opinion though . . . .

Edit: for claification, I would iron the pants inside out with seams of each leg at each end as opposed to how you would iron a regular pant

Larry Lean

Reaction score
I suppose this is basically just the old Khakis debate - to crease or not to crease?
Both options are fine in my book. Just a matter of taste after all.

The good thing about these trousers is that you can dress them up or down.

I'm tempted to start talking about those who put creases in their old Levis now. But that would just be trolling.
smile.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't understand the point of creases in jeans. Where the hell did that trend start? The unfortunate thing about cotton other than corduroy is that once you crease, you can't really go back on it.
confused.gif

dinted voice

Reaction score
Didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I would revive an old one.

I have a cord jacket and the wales on the elbow have become flat due to wear and placing my elbows on my desk chair arms.

What would be the easiest way to stand up the wales? Would it be similar to getting the nap in suede to stand?

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinted voice

I have a cord jacket and the wales on the elbow have become flat due to wear and placing my elbows on my desk chair arms.

What would be the easiest way to stand up the wales? Would it be similar to getting the nap in suede to stand?

Mist it with water and then brush it lightly to even out the nap.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinted voice

This is the reason elbow patches exist. Have your tailor sew some on.

East Oakland

Reaction score
I have a thin-wale cord suit that I wear in the winter pretty regulalry. I generally just treat it like a wool suit--I brush it after I wear it and use steam to get out wrinkles. When I need it cleaned or I need it pressed (to put a fresh crease put in the pants), I take it to a professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics