• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan wingtip ...

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the Alden shel cordovan wingtip pictured costs 535$
aldewinggj0.jpg
How much more would you be willing to pay for this Cordovan Church
graftonvf8.jpg
I know the church fits, have no CLUE about Alden. Open to sugestions ... Neither EG or C&J have this I believe. Speed

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not pay more for the Church. I don't like that particular last. Additionally, one shoe is a balmoral and the other shoe is a blucher, which may be what you're responding to.

If you were looking for something more like the Church shoe, try the Alden 975, which is a blucher long wingtip.

thomas7610

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
I would not pay more for the Church. I don't like that particular last. Additionally, one shoe is a balmoral and the other shoe is a blucher, which may be what you're responding to.

If you were looking for something more like the Church shoe, try the Alden 975, which is a blucher long wingtip.

Agree completely.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the last on the Church, but am curionus wether a plaza lasted wingtip would woork for me.
I prefer the EG 606 to the EG 888 for instance, both E width and same size.
So i figured after some searching that a Aldenplza would be ok in +0,5 and a D.

Am I somwhere in the ballpark here?

tnx

Speed

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
They are totally different shoes. Given equal fit, I would choose the Church's. I don't really think the Alden's are a good marriage of style, last and material. The Church's, on the other hand, do that perfectly.

I feel the exact opposite. For some reason I detest that weird flapover longwing design on the church's, I would pay more for the Aldens if I were put up to it. If the Aldens are cheaper its a no brainer, for me.

Urbane Legend

Reaction score
The Alden store in NY carries a cordovan wingtip balmoral on the plaza last . I believe they are only a single sole in case you are looking for a double sole.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Urbane Legend
The Alden store in NY carries a cordovan wingtip balmoral on the plaza last . I believe they are only a single sole in case you are looking for a double sole.
As Im in Europe, there is only so much available. Hence easier with Church than Alden. Im actually looking for a double/commando sole. But will be past some stores that carry Vass, Maftei, StCrispins, Alden et all with in a couple of months. I know VASS does nice cordovan work, but wish to test the lasts before ordering. These will never be my "hight of summer" shoes any way. Have also sent an email to AofC, so will see what they say. If its 10months, then its an excellent Xmas gift to my self.
biggrin.gif
Speed

oldtymer

Reaction score
I know it’s been a while since you posted this, but I’d thought I’d give my intake on this situation. If it’s a $500 shoe, it’s a $500 shoe for a reason. You’re getting what you pay for and there’s no doubt in my mind that both shoes are excellent when it comes to quality.

The way you posed your question seems that you are leaning towards the Church’s wingtips. They’re the brand James Bond wears, so I don’t blame you. In my opinion, Italians make the best footwear. They always add some small detail that adds incredible comfort and style to their shoes (no disrespect to any other shoemakers). Mezlan of Spain has some incredible styles to choose from, in case you’re interested.

At the end of the day, it’s what you like. If that Church’s wingtip is $400 more expensive and if it makes you happy, then I see no reason why you shouldn’t blast that extra $400. You can’t put a price on happiness.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Aside from the derby/oxford difference, one shoe is USA made and the other is English made. That might sway some one way or the other. Also, the Church is a much heavier, more solid shoe. The soles also feel like you are walking on a much more rigid surface, whereas the Alden's are a bit "gushier".

As far as Alden goes, I like the tremont last the best.

Classic Church models cost more than Alden across the board, so regardless of them being shell, or not you are paying more for a Church. Whether it is worth it or not is a personal perference, in the end.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd argue that the ultimate Cordovan wingtip are these Vass. They are on the New Peter last in Antique Cognac cordovan.

dsc6118l.jpg

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldtymer
I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I'd thought I'd give my intake on this situation. If it's a $500 shoe, it's a $500 shoe for a reason. You're getting what you pay for and there's no doubt in my mind that both shoes are excellent when it comes to quality.

The way you posed your question seems that you are leaning towards the Church's wingtips. They're the brand James Bond wears, so I don't blame you. In my opinion, Italians make the best footwear. They always add some small detail that adds incredible comfort and style to their shoes (no disrespect to any other shoemakers). Mezlan of Spain has some incredible styles to choose from, in case you're interested.

At the end of the day, it's what you like. If that Church's wingtip is $400 more expensive and if it makes you happy, then I see no reason why you shouldn't blast that extra $400. You can't put a price on happiness.

In the last 2.5 years, he has probably decided or moved on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads