• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cordovan Shoes OK for Business Dress?

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a new pair of shoes I Like Alden and heard a lot about their Cordovan shoes. I was told that black is the standard for business dress, but would a pair of Cordovan shoes work as well?

Maybe something like this
http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ane4_2160.htm

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps not in London, but certainly in the US.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
You can always go for black shell cordovan.

+1 As businessy as it gets. Color 8 (cordovan color) is standard business wear in the US as well.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have plain-toe bals in #8 and I certainly wear them in business situations. I don't see how they could be less appropriate than the same shoe in burgundy calf.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
I'm looking into getting a new pair of shoes I Like Alden and heard a lot about their Cordovan shoes. I was told that black is the standard for business dress, but would a pair of Cordovan shoes work as well?

Maybe something like this
http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ane4_2160.htm

I don't think anyone you work with would know was Cordovan is...

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with cordovan.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I don't think anyone you work with would know was Cordovan is...

Yea - I'd be shocked. Imagine your boss scolding you in front of other colleagues b/c your shoes aren't made of the proper type of leather. In a twist of irony I guess that if cordovan weren'tappropriate for the office, it would only be because they thought that corrected grain and rubber soles were the only acceptable options.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 270 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.8%
  • 31 - 40