• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan Shoe Dilemma

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am about to buy 1-2 pair of new shoes, I have run into a dilemma. I know that I want to give cordovan a try as it appears more durable, acquires patina, and requires little maintenance. Previously I had been set on buying 2 pair of Alden PTB (No. 8 and Black). However with more reading on the site, I changed my mind to a pair of No. 8 Alden PTB and a pair of cigar shell long wings. I figured I would instead do black shoes in calf and likely not a blucher, but a bal (a topic for another day). Now one of you bastards (and I mean that in the nicest possible way) has thrown the C&J Polo wingtips (dark brown) into the equation...and on sale! I definitely want a burgundy and a dark brown shoe, but now I can not decide what combination to get. I must admit that the C&J Darltons and a BB No. 8 PTB on sale looks really appealing for both under ~$1k. Buying a cigar and No. 8 from Alden would be ~$1300.

I have read some that the C&J has better fit and finish, but is overall less comfortable than the Aldens (in general). I suppose if the comfort difference is really that noticeable, one choice has already been made for me. An Alden long wing also seems to be the forum favorite for Alden shoes. There is obviously the possibility of a longwing and a wingtip, but I would very much like one to be plain toe for some versatility. There is this issue of sizing, but I can sort that out on my own.

So, if you were in my shoes (I know lol), what would you go for (Which shoe and style)? I know someone is going to say get all 3. Try not to be that guy
smile.gif

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would do darltons and no 8. But then again the darltons are my Grail shoe right now!

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a no brainer, get the Alden PTB in #8 and CJ dark brown wingtips.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Yep, that's what I'd do.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I forgot one thing, Are the Polo C&J's recraftable in the U.S.? I know there is a shop in NYC, but I do not know if they provide the service.

Xenos

Reaction score
^^^Same question: Polo C&Js recraftable in the U.S.?

Reaction score
C and J's get sent back to England for the work.

Be sure and get the BB PTB. Can be cheaper, metal eyelets, and no storm welt.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#8 is the color. In America it is interchangeable with cordovan.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 89826
Be sure and get the BB PTB. Can be cheaper, metal eyelets, and no storm welt.

Why do you prefer the BB version? I personally thought the Alden version looks a bit nicer with no metal eyelets, although the BB version does look somewhat sleeker. The storm welt to me seems like a wash, although it may be useful at some point in time.

Reaction score
G,

I like the look of the metal eyelets on that shoe. It is fairly casual, and the eyelets complement that.

A little known fact is that the BB version is not on the Barrie last, but rather the M-58. They are very similar, but the M-58 does look a sminch less bulbous.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
this. both can be had BNIB for $1000

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads