• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cordovan or calfskin?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a pair of C & J shoes over the weekend in Newton. They were made for Barney's and aren't handgrades (no channelled sole). I honestly cannot tell if they are calfskin or cordovan. Obviously, the type of creasing that results after wearing is the dead giveaway, but these were brand new shoes. The inside said "Carlisle" and said "leather upper/leather insole." Now, the statement "leather upper" might suggest that they aren't shell cordovan. However, if the upper is calfskin, then this is really awful leather -- plasticy looking.

Anyone know whether the CJ "Carlisle" model for Barney's is a calf or shell shoe? Does CJ benchgrade really use such plasticy looking calfskin? (BTW, the color of the shoe is approximately Horween's Color # 8).

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think C&J's "Calvary Calf" is corrected grain, but I've never seen it. So it could be either.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know C&J made shoes in corrected grain leather until I saw "calvary calf" in the Plal catalogue scans. Then, earlier this year, I came across a pair of Peal for Brooks Brothers (with C&J last markings) that were undeniably corrected grain. The bluchers in question were also dyed in the traditional cordovan hue. So, in short, I'm guessing that you did NOT find a shell cordo deal on those Barney's shoes.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's