1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cordovan: More consistent with double soled Derby?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Apr 2, 2005.

1. kolecho

kolecho Distinguished Member

Given that shell cordovan is a thicker and tougher material, do you think that the material is more appropriate for less formal shoes; i.e.: Derbys instead of Balmorals, and for that matter double-soled Derbys for weekend use?

2. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

3. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Distinguished Member

I'd guess that Alden sells more shell cordovan in loafers (the leisure moccasin and tassel loafer), which are single sole, than the double sole bluchers. Certainly these styles have a longer history. I wear the moccasin during the week with blazers and sportjackets and a tie to the office usually with an oxford shirt. But agree that cordovan is not the shoe material to match with lightweight cottons and linens. I personally do wear medium weight wool twill trousers as well as flannels and corduroy with the cordovan leisure moccasin. As with suede shoes, you'd probably want to consider fabrics with texture to pair with cordovan.

4. Phil

Phil Senior Member

I agree with Stylestudent, with one exception. I was in Paul Stuart a few weeks ago and saw a beautiful pair of shell cordovan derbies. The stitching was very detailed, the soles were single leather, and the overall look was very sleek. Additionally, the last was slim and elegant. They were really the only shell cordovan shoes I have ever seen like this.

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I have seen some (not many, but some) examples of trim cordovan shoes with single (1/4") soles. They can look quite good. But in general, I think the thickness of cordovan goes better with a heavier-constructed shoe.