• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan is it seasonal?

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never bought a cordovan shoe but am starting to think about getting a pair from alden at 50% off. Anyhow i don't know much about cordovan because it hasn't interested me much but am looking for something new (think wingtip oxford or norwegian front from alden) and i was wondering is cordovan only a fall/winter shoe or can it be worn all year round? On a side note is the norwegian front considered to be a dress suit and can it be worn with suits?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can get Alden's for 50% the cost, you should do it. Especially if by cordovan you mean shell cordovan. That's lower than what they go for on ebay, due to their scarcity on the secondary market. Alden shell cordovans generally go for 33% off on ebay.

I'll wear cordovan all year long. I also think that the norwegian front is acceptable with a suit. Some people will disagree with those two ideas.

arkirshner

Reaction score
"With heavy leather uppers and thick country soles the rugged Norwegian was built for the outdoors.  Today the most famous purveyor of the Norweigian street shoe is the French shoemaker J.M.Weston.  When the broader-shouldered clothing of the late eighties first caught hold, Weston's black semi-chasse lace-up was one of the few qualitiy shoes capable of balancing the fuller-scaled fashions"

Alan Flusser, Dressing the Man

Given its history I think the level of formality is on par with a Brogue and can be worn in the same way, others may have different opinions.

bch

Reaction score
I wear S/C year round in Florida. Don't pay any attention to the "it's too hot for summer argument."

Cliff

Reaction score
I wear mine year 'round, no problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads