• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan damage

mg428

Reaction score
I have purchased a pair of Alden 2210 burgundy shell cordovan NST. I specifically requested from the seller to ship me a pair that has never been worn or tried, as cordovan is susceptible to fold-like creases even upon one wearing.

The pair I received does not have any crease, fold or whatsoever. However, the right pair is different than the left from the following respects: 1) Laces are inserted to the eyelets 2) the Alden logo is barely visible 3) most important, the quarter has some scratches. Considering all these facts together, I believe the right pair was not within the box and was a sample pair, but, since it does not have any creases, folds, etc., it has never been tried. Nonetheless it was subject to scratches etc. because it was not within its box.

Am I too much babying on these or would you be pissed off and ask the seller to exchange with another pair? Please note that the shoes were shipped to an APO address and it is not convenient for me to ask for exchange. Should I ask the seller to issue a partial refund in the amount of 5 or 10% off or something instead?

The photos are below:

nicad2000

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you, every pair of Alden's I've ever purchased has had minor issues such as those. Even a perfect pair will look like the ones you received after one or two wears anyhow. Chalk it up to a headstart on developing patina.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Wear em for a few months, then request most of your money back.

Pulled the sting. Well played sir.
bigstar[1].gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The shoes look good to me, and should age very nicely. I'd be happy with them and would enjoy wearing them.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't bullshit about a partial refund or 10% this or that. Either decide that you don't want them and return them for refund or keep and enjoy.

Hoofit

Reaction score
I say you put the bad boys on your feet and wear them. After the first wear, nobody will be the wiser. However if you bought them to put them on a shelf to look at, send them back.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Venison shell -- interesting.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I think you should demand that either the seller threads the laces through the eyelets on the left shoe, or refunds you $1.

Benzito

Reaction score

+1 for your joke, which gets you back to 0 after actually doing this with that stupid bag.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can buff out some of that imperfection with a little cordovan cream and elbow grease.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benzito
+1 for your joke, which gets you back to 0 after actually doing this with that stupid bag.

How many of your 182 posts were used to insult me or talk **** to/about me? Who's sock-puppet are you?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, that Alden quality . . . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads