• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan & cream polish

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The long & short of it: I put a coat of neutral cream polish on my McCallum's a few months back, before I learned it was an absolute "no-no". Frankly, I noticed that it never quite absorbed into the leather, and just kind of smeared around on the surface--I probably wiped most of it off in my attempts to polish it. So, should I attempt to remove remnants of said polish, and/or what should I apply in its stead?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's what Adam Knox (Alden of Carmel) has to say about the care of shell cordovan shoes. http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Catalog....van.htm Is there any reason why you want to take the cream polish off? With every brushing, you will remove a little bit more. Stay clear of polish for the next six months or so. Thereafter use it only sparingly. (Once in a blue moon.)

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks b-s.

though the fellow at alden mentions what not to use (neutral polish), he does not suggest what is appropriate to use. have you any suggestions?

JFK

Reaction score
thanks b-s.

though the fellow at alden mentions what not to use (neutral polish), he does not suggest what is appropriate to use. have you any suggestions?
My cobbler suggested Kiwi Mid Tan; I've used it on my McCallums and am very happy with the results.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(AJL @ 26 Sep. 2004, 10:22) thanks b-s. though the fellow at alden mentions what not to use (neutral polish), he does not suggest what is appropriate to use. have you any suggestions?
My cobbler suggested Kiwi Mid Tan; I've used it on my McCallums and am very happy with the results.
thanks jfk-- duly noted
wink.gif

JohnG

Reaction score
I am a bit confused . From aldens Website: " For shell cordovan shoes, Alden reccommends using paste wax polish, and not shoe cream." Yet in checking the Cordovan polish purchased from Allen Edmonds for their burgundy cordovan shell it says" ( Naturally it is the same for hte Black cordovan shell leather cream) Allen Edmonds Burgundy Cordovan Shoe Care CREAM {Allen Edmonds Cordovan Shoe Care Cream A premium conditioning cream designed specifically for the care of burgundy shell cordovan leather.} < This cream does have a slightly diffent texture or "feel" to it than the regular creams. Also- I have checked with at least two different people at the A.E> outlet store and both have stated A.E. doesnt make a cordovan shell carnuba polish. IS there a difinitive answer? I do know that Aldens- Allen Edmonds and when Allen Edmonds allows them to due to volume commitment and "setting the price" so to speak... Johnston and Murphy- all purchase their Cordovan Shell leather from the same company. If the leather comes from the same company - any ideas why the two major ( volume wise) purchasers recommend opposite types of polish. I.E> cream versus polish? (This took a bit of digging to get it straight. This information is based on discussions with a J.&M district manager and an A.E. outlet manager who even made a phone call to corporate to verify. ) Supposedly though there are a few cordovan shell leather suppliers in the states and many more aborad... there is ONE company that is head and shoulders above the others.( My apology the name escapes me ) Their method of curing takes 21-22 days to tan the leather. Some of hte lesser companies "cure" the shell leather in as little as 18 days. Because of the superior quaility - ALden, A.E. and J.&M. all purchase their shell leather from this company. J.&M. isn't able to purchase as regularly as the other two because of the contractual commitments made to Aldens and A.E. Also ,due to the volume of purchases, the other two somewhat "price fix" the leather thus only allowing J.&M. to purchase more rarely in order to keep their lower price point. John G.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tannery for high-grade shell cordovan and other horsehide products is Horween Tanneries. I believe they are based in Chicago. Holstermaker Greg Kramer, who gets all his horsehide from Horween, tells me that Alden and Allen-Edmonds keep Horween in business.

auto90403

Reaction score
a few weeks ago, i visited the alden shop and SF and mentioned that my shell cordovans never held a shine for very long. the salesman gave me some alden brand cordovan-flavored cream he said worked better than wax. and to use it sparingly -- that it was better to give the shoes a buffing up rather than to apply more cream and repolish.

i've seen some improvement without solving the problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads