1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cordovan Color for Burgundy Shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jcw122, Apr 12, 2011.

1. jcw122

jcw122 Member

Hi, I'm looking for a quick answer and having issues using Google to find it.

I need to polish my shoes up before tomorrow night, and I can't find "Burgundy" colored shoe polish at the local store. I did find a Kiwi can with the color labeled "Cordovan", and it seems similar, but I'm unsure. Is Cordovan the correct color for a Burgundy AE shoe, or should I seek out a can labeled burgundy? Thx.

-Jon

2. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Senior member

Cordovan is a darker polish than burgundy. Do not use cordovan polish if you want your loafers to remain true burgundy.

I have experience with this; I used cordovan polish on burgundy Bass penny loafers. The first time it imparted dark streaks to the loafers but managed to bring them to a polish. I have since polished the loafers with cordovan polish perhaps one dozen times. The loafers have taken on a overall darker, complicated, patinated appearance. They have a certain piquancy.

3. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I made the same mistake. Kiwi cordovan is almost black so gives and antique/streaky result on burgundy. What you need is Kiwi oxblood polish for a true burgundy finish.

4. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Saphir has a special Cordovan polish. It comes in black, burgundy, brown, neutral.

Cordovan itself is actually not a colour, but a material. There is no "Cordovan Colour" although Cordovan is most commonly burgundy.

5. pgd3

pgd3 Senior member

Saphir has a special Cordovan polish. It comes in black, burgundy, brown, neutral.

Cordovan itself is actually not a colour, but a material. There is no "Cordovan Colour" although Cordovan is most commonly burgundy.

This is one of those things where despite the fact that Cordovan is a material with colors of its own right, many companies will sell leather that is a burgundy or just darker than color, and they will call the leather something like Cordovan Calf.

Which seems like an oxymoron, but the look of a #8 shell shoe is often referred to has "cordovan" when you purchase a darker red shoe, regardless of leather.

Kiwi Cordovan shoe polish to me looks purple, and I don't use it on shell shoes... Go figure.

6. Knucklehead

I think it is understood that we're using "cordovan" as a shorthand for the most popular rendition of cordovan polish, which is a color made by kiwi. I beleive the lion's share of people here know that cordovan is a material, not a color.

7. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Which seems like an oxymoron, but the look of a #8 shell shoe is often referred to has "cordovan" when you purchase a darker red shoe, regardless of leather.

Interestingly enough, the actual #8 shell may not be that color-- before Alden gets hold of it. If you go to Lattanzi's shop they will have a bunch of #8 cordovan shoes about and they are all dark brown with not a hint of purple. Much nicer if you ask me, although perhaps not nice enough to justify a $6K price tag for bespoke.

8. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

Kiwi's Cordovan polish and Burgundy are very similar. It won't make much of a difference.

9. Knucklehead

Kiwi's Cordovan polish and Burgundy are very similar. It won't make much of a difference.

The cordovan polish I used is Kiwi. It didn't match the leather on my Bass Weejuns.

10. antsshoes

antsshoes Active Member

I would say don't polish them with anything other than the appropriate color (which can be ordered from AE online or an AE store).

Good luck.

11. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

I want to renew this thread...

Have some merlot AE Park Ave's on the way and I am trying to find the right color for polishing.

Seems like there are many different options out there and I can probably just be safe and go with the matched polish/was combo AE makes.

But, I want to get everyone's opinion...I was thinking of maybe using Kiwi but don't know which color to use - Burgundy or Cordovan

Was also thinking of buying the Alden Color 8 wax and use that - but didn't want to get others opinion - maybe some has already tried this?

I have heard Alden wax is just Kiwi as well (seems like AE and Alden wax are both Kiwi - but only through rumors).

Any and all help is appreciated - thanks in advance.

12. swiego

swiego Senior member

I've used BB cordovan-colored paste wax for my AE burgundy-colored cordovans :)

13. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

Thanks.

I also want to make sure that using a "cordovan" paste is good even though the AE merlots are not "cordovan leather"

I guess just overall I am looking for people with experience shining burgundy shoes and what success they have had with whatever products.

Any pictures?

14. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

I guess one main thing I am looking at is - could I use Color 8 Alden polish on AE burgundy and get good results?

15. facet

facet Senior member

I just use AE's wax/polish. It's simple for me that way.

16. andrel42

andrel42 Senior member

I realize this is an old post but I cannot seem to find any Saphir Cordovan in Burgundy? Any hints ?

17. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

For shoes made of the MATERIAL cordovan, Saphir offers 6 colors plus neutral. One of the colors offered (71) is the COLOR cordovan, which by process of elimination seems to be burgundy, a/k/a "#8".

Check out The Hanger Project for their colors of each cream and polish they carry,

18. andrel42

andrel42 Senior member

Thank you Sir! I actually have a few already however never seem to find the burgundy (lighter than color 8) that I often see advertised. Meanwhile using the neutral.

19. isatcong

isatcong Member

The responses in this thread are confusing. I really hope I can get a definitive answer from someone.

Kiwi makes a 'burgundy' or 'original brown' polish, and I'm wondering if that would be okay to use with my burgundy shoes pictured below.

Do you think Saphir's burgundy is better than Kiwi? Or Should I use AE Carnauba burgundy (neutral)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIWI-ORIGIN...561788?hash=item2a5f5d137c:g:MlYAAOSwT6pVy3lc

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/s...F652_color=654#q=burgundy+shoe+polish&start=1

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  20. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I wish we could make this a sticky.