• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan Color for Burgundy Shoes?

jcw122

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a quick answer and having issues using Google to find it.

I need to polish my shoes up before tomorrow night, and I can't find "Burgundy" colored shoe polish at the local store. I did find a Kiwi can with the color labeled "Cordovan", and it seems similar, but I'm unsure. Is Cordovan the correct color for a Burgundy AE shoe, or should I seek out a can labeled burgundy? Thx.

-Jon

Knucklehead

Reaction score
Cordovan is a darker polish than burgundy. Do not use cordovan polish if you want your loafers to remain true burgundy.

I have experience with this; I used cordovan polish on burgundy Bass penny loafers. The first time it imparted dark streaks to the loafers but managed to bring them to a polish. I have since polished the loafers with cordovan polish perhaps one dozen times. The loafers have taken on a overall darker, complicated, patinated appearance. They have a certain piquancy.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I made the same mistake. Kiwi cordovan is almost black so gives and antique/streaky result on burgundy. What you need is Kiwi oxblood polish for a true burgundy finish.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Saphir has a special Cordovan polish. It comes in black, burgundy, brown, neutral.

Cordovan itself is actually not a colour, but a material. There is no "Cordovan Colour" although Cordovan is most commonly burgundy.

pgd3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaves
Saphir has a special Cordovan polish. It comes in black, burgundy, brown, neutral.

Cordovan itself is actually not a colour, but a material. There is no "Cordovan Colour" although Cordovan is most commonly burgundy.

This is one of those things where despite the fact that Cordovan is a material with colors of its own right, many companies will sell leather that is a burgundy or just darker than color, and they will call the leather something like Cordovan Calf.

Which seems like an oxymoron, but the look of a #8 shell shoe is often referred to has "cordovan" when you purchase a darker red shoe, regardless of leather.

Kiwi Cordovan shoe polish to me looks purple, and I don't use it on shell shoes... Go figure.

Knucklehead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaves

I think it is understood that we're using "cordovan" as a shorthand for the most popular rendition of cordovan polish, which is a color made by kiwi. I beleive the lion's share of people here know that cordovan is a material, not a color.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pgd3
Which seems like an oxymoron, but the look of a #8 shell shoe is often referred to has "cordovan" when you purchase a darker red shoe, regardless of leather.

Interestingly enough, the actual #8 shell may not be that color-- before Alden gets hold of it. If you go to Lattanzi's shop they will have a bunch of #8 cordovan shoes about and they are all dark brown with not a hint of purple. Much nicer if you ask me, although perhaps not nice enough to justify a $6K price tag for bespoke.

Knucklehead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Kiwi's Cordovan polish and Burgundy are very similar. It won't make much of a difference.

The cordovan polish I used is Kiwi. It didn't match the leather on my Bass Weejuns.

antsshoes

Reaction score
I would say don't polish them with anything other than the appropriate color (which can be ordered from AE online or an AE store).

Good luck.

Bear

Reaction score
I want to renew this thread...

Have some merlot AE Park Ave's on the way and I am trying to find the right color for polishing.

Seems like there are many different options out there and I can probably just be safe and go with the matched polish/was combo AE makes.

But, I want to get everyone's opinion...I was thinking of maybe using Kiwi but don't know which color to use - Burgundy or Cordovan

Was also thinking of buying the Alden Color 8 wax and use that - but didn't want to get others opinion - maybe some has already tried this?

I have heard Alden wax is just Kiwi as well (seems like AE and Alden wax are both Kiwi - but only through rumors).

Any and all help is appreciated - thanks in advance.

swiego

Reaction score
I've used BB cordovan-colored paste wax for my AE burgundy-colored cordovans :)

Bear

Reaction score
Thanks.

I also want to make sure that using a "cordovan" paste is good even though the AE merlots are not "cordovan leather"

I guess just overall I am looking for people with experience shining burgundy shoes and what success they have had with whatever products.

Any pictures?

Bear

Reaction score
I guess one main thing I am looking at is - could I use Color 8 Alden polish on AE burgundy and get good results?

facet

Reaction score
I just use AE's wax/polish. It's simple for me that way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads