• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan Care

classicusa

Reaction score
Some talk recently here on Cordovan shoes. I have questions on care. I own several pairs of #8 Alden Shells, and they have fared differently over time. I have always heard competing schools of thought in terms of care/nourishment. Alden says use the wax only, no cram, and says using cream could actually do damage. AE recommends the use of their cream. Same Horween Shell. They even have a video showing the use of the cream to nourish the Shell. I've used that cream on a pair of my Aldens, and it left quite a bad residue, even after cleaning it off. These particular pods never really had a great shine to them, so I thought I'd try the cream for potential improvement. It really made them worse before I worked hard to get them back to their old non-sheen patina.

I'm all for caring for these properly, just want to know the real deal. What works for you?

well-kept

Reaction score
The odd truth is that no two pairs of shell shoes are the same. I have many and each has aged differently and responds differently to rain, or even dampness, and to treatment. Some shine with brushing. Others never will. Some take wax easily and others resist it. Just do what works best for yours.

BTW, I have recently tried Venetian Cream on several pair of shells and I can report that it gave wonderful results.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I answered this in the other thread but I'll do so here as well. I use lexol, boot oil and snoseal to nourish the leather and to keep it waterproof. I've been called a heretic for doing this but it's still a vegetable tanned leather and needs to be maintained. In this thread I show how to apply snoseal and I'm doing it to a pair of shell cordovan boots. I'm a firm believer of proactive maintenance versus reactive which seems to be what most people end up doing. Post 30.

classicusa

Reaction score
I know you answered it there, I just did not want to hijack that thread by turning it into a care thread...

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by classicusa
I know you answered it there, I just did not want to hijack that thread by turning it into a care thread...
But that is the way around here! A good example of a classic runaway train wreck is Foo's wallet thread. It's full of twists and turns and pileups on each page. A classic threak in the finest tradition of SF is what we all aspire to be capable of doing.

Mike147

Reaction score
I've been using the Mac method on my New Shell #8 Alden's. Little bit of wax and a lot of brushing and buffing. They are quiet new so showing a bit of a shine but nothing fantastic yet.

I also gave them one application of the Venetian, hoping to protect the leather from the elements.

Not sure how to use these two (wax and Venetian Cream) in combination.

I think the key element here is brushing and buffing, while the creme, wax, et-all are secondary. Just my opinion..

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ron has, IIRC, suggested cream only, to be used sparingly for covering color loss, and no polish, saying it plugs the pores. I have used this method to good effect, and am happier with the results than I was when I was using polish on shell.

I came across an old pair of shells that I wanted to flip on eBay, and they looked much better once I removed the caked-on polish.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But I just posted the right answer.
teacha.gif

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
But I just posted the right answer.
teacha.gif

No you are wrong. I did.
tinfoil.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think that most people have trouble with shell is because it is very non-porous and the finish pretty much sits on top of the shell, it doesn't absorb as much, that goes for the dyes as well. This is why caking on anything too heavy "forms" a residue because it is just being pushed around the surface. Also anything too aggressive such as hard brushing will disrupt the finish and make it cloudy. I have found that it is best to use some Renovateur to smooth out the inconsistancies in the finish and take up some extra polish. After it dries I rub it lightly to remove the excess cream and apply a small layer of wax. Let it dry, then buff. Between polishings just a brushing usually shines it up and removes excess polish, dirt, scuffs...

classicusa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
This has been discussed ad naseum, which you obviously know. Do a search and read through the posts. There is nothing new to discuss here. There is no "right" answer.

I did. And now I'd like to hear NEW opinions as well, from perhaps those who never posted there, and are perhaps, new here.

Is that ok with you? Why the hostility? If you don't like the thread, simply move along...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads