Cordovan Care

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CommercialDoc, May 22, 2006.

1. Poshak Man

Poshak Man Senior member

I use the AE cordovan cream and am happy with the results.

2. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Affiliate Vendor

I used a bit of Allen Edmonds brown shell polish on my cigar shell Aldens. It worked well but did darken them slightly.

3. Chips

Chips Senior member

I was very grateful that Mr Horween was willing to seek me out and offer his advice. I know cordovan can be tricky. I just think its interesting that there seems to be such varying advice. I do like the feel of them now that I've had them for nearly a year. In that time I've probably only worn them a total of 8 times.

I confess, I commited the worst of sins though. When I couldn't get the dark scuffs off, regardless of method or time spent, I took them to a cobbler who hit the rear quarters with essentially cordovan paint made for shoes. I told him I couldn't stand the scuffs, and he said that if he did apply the spray, it would be a bitch to clean and remove.

4. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Senior member

I was very grateful that Mr Horween was willing to seek me out and offer his advice. I know cordovan can be tricky. I just think its interesting that there seems to be such varying advice. I do like the feel of them now that I've had them for nearly a year. In that time I've probably only worn them a total of 8 times.

I confess, I commited the worst of sins though. When I couldn't get the dark scuffs off, regardless of method or time spent, I took them to a cobbler who hit the rear quarters with essentially cordovan paint made for shoes. I told him I couldn't stand the scuffs, and he said that if he did apply the spray, it would be a bitch to clean and remove.

WOW---could not bring myself to ruin a pair of shoes like that!

5. MellonC

MellonC Well-Known Member

I use it dry - just for the welting area where the leather meets the sole.

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I use it dry - just for the welting area where the leather meets the sole.
    Sounds good... I'll try this.

7. the.chikor

the.chikor Senior member

Do you apply anything on the brush, or just use it dry?

Aquafresh or Rembrandt.[​IMG]

8. sf_esq

sf_esq Senior member

Is the consensus opinion not to do anything before first wear? I'm itching to bust out my Darltons, but polish all my leather shoes before wearing. I'm new to cordovan and recognize that a little wax polish goes a long way, but is it necessary to use any prior to wearing the first time? Thanks in advance, fellas.

9. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Is the consensus opinion not to do anything before first wear? I'm itching to bust out my Darltons, but polish all my leather shoes before wearing. I'm new to cordovan and recognize that a little wax polish goes a long way, but is it necessary to use any prior to wearing the first time? Thanks in advance, fellas.

No. Buff them up with a brush or a cloth before your first wear if you really want to, but they don't need polish right out of the box.

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

No. Buff them up with a brush or a cloth before your first wear if you really want to, but they don't need polish right out of the box.
    I usually wipe mine with a damp cloth and then brush them before the first wearing. However, I don't use any polish until after the first dozen or so wearings.

11. sf_esq

sf_esq Senior member

Thanks. I believe a fine horsehair brush is best? Seems like it would be too soft - when I was in the Alden store, I saw one of their salespersons buff out a scuff for a customer with a toothbrush. It was actually amazing how well it worked.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Thanks. I believe a fine horsehair brush is best? Seems like it would be too soft - when I was in the Alden store, I saw one of their salespersons buff out a scuff for a customer with a toothbrush. It was actually amazing how well it worked.
    Horsehair brushes work very well. I use them religiously.

13. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Horsehair brushes work very well. I use them religiously.

+1

If you're going to be investing in good shoes, you should invest in a good horsehair shoe brush.

14. Chips

Chips Senior member

I have three or four, but honestly haven't bothered to use them for months. I always strive to achieve a high glossy shine on all my shoes, and I found I could do this better with a microfiber cloth and a final buff with pure silk rags I had made up specially for my shoes. A light misting from a spray bottle onto the silk, gave me a nice glossy shine on most of my shoes.

15. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Senior member

+1

If you're going to be investing in good shoes, you should invest in a good horsehair shoe brush.

+2 I have 4 of them one for each color, Black, Whiskey, Cigar and the Burgundy as well as the small round horsehair brushes for the application of polish.