• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cordovan, calf and suede uppers

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lately I have been thinking about my preference when it comes to shoe uppers material. Here are some characteristics that I consider important:

- Patina: Except for EG and some Italian makers' calf that comes with antiquing, most calf shoes finished flat. Cordovan develops a very deep natural patina over time which I like. No experience with suede. It does not seem to age as gracefully as calf and cordovan.

- Maintenance: Cordovan wins hands down. It is so easy to shine - simply use a clean cloth to buff. Special cordovan polish is applied sparingly and very seldom. Suede maintenance seems to be about Scotchguarding and brushing. Also quite simple. Calf is the most complicated - wax, cream, spit shine etc.... I am still confused about calf leather maintenance

- Longevity: Here cordovan wins hands down. I hear conflicting remarks about suede. Some say it is hardier than calf. Others say it is less so.

So, my personal preference is cordovan for its patina, longevity and ease of maintenance. To me, cordovan is an everyday shoe for all ocassions. Calf leather shoes, to me, are a bit more troublesome to maintain, and less robust than cordovan. I'd like to try some suede next.

Most cordovan shoes are made of thick leather. I have on order a pair of cordovan wholecut from Carmina that looks very sleek. In fact the Carmina cordovan shoes I held in Peter Elliot NYC is about the same weight as calf. This might very well be the go-to make for my everyday shoes.

What is your preference?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
rain deer skin, i have just had some made in this and it is so so soft and it taking a ok shine too!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Sea turtle is very adventurous.

i have thort about that one, the person that makes my shoes has got some vintage stuff (35year old) so i am tempted to get some in british racing green - what do you think?

it looks a bit like croc too!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Sounds like some forummers have a preference for exotic skins

yep sorry i guess i have too many calf leather shoes but it is the texture i like with them! the way the light changes the look etc!!!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
i have thort about that one, the person that makes my shoes has got some vintage stuff (35year old) so i am tempted to get some in british racing green - what do you think? it looks a bit like croc too!
This sounds interesting especially in the racing green. What style shoe would it be?

mizanation

Reaction score
i love my alden shell cordovans. like you said, so easy to maintain, looks great, looks better with time, and durable. it's the winner for me.

although the aging of calfskin can also be very beautiful.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
This sounds interesting especially in the racing green.

What style shoe would it be?

something like this!

in fact i am having something like this done now in grained calf but with this kind of finshing
Attachment 833

what do you think?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
i love my alden shell cordovans. like you said, so easy to maintain, looks great, looks better with time, and durable. it's the winner for me.

although the aging of calfskin can also be very beautiful.

I dislike the way calf creases with all those fine lines. Cordovan ripples in a subtle way. Downside to cordovan is price. It is on average about 50% more than calf.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
I dislike the way calf creases with all those fine lines. Cordovan ripples in a subtle way. Downside to cordovan is price. It is on average about 50% more than calf.
i have thort about cordovan but you can not get it HK for custom made! unless you can buy online!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.