• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan belt

horton

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that true cordovan belts have to come in pieces.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
I'm fairly sure that true cordovan belts have to come in pieces.

I remember seeing Ben Silver selling one-piece cordovan belts on their website. It must have been a big-assed horse
crackup[1].gif

horton

Reaction score
right, cordovan is actually some membrane like material that comes from the rump I believe (not the horse hide) and is only so big in diameter (not big enough for a belt).

I imagine any one piece belt is using "cordovan" to refer to the color, not the material.

well-kept

Reaction score
I have a one-piece shell cordovan belt made by AE. I wore it almost daily for years until it had torn in too many places to continue. I have also read that one-piece shell cordo belts can't be made but there you have it. Perhaps it's being a 32" size made it possible.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard of such a thing, but I've never seen one. Brooks Brothers had some shell corodvan belts earlier this summer, but they were made with 3 pieces.
frown.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might be possible, I suppose, to get a sufficient length of shell for a very short belt from the rump of an enormous horse (few of which are around these days). I think some (perhaps most or all) of these one-piece belts are simply "cordovan" colored horsehide. I have a #8 shell cordovan belt made for me by holstermaker Greg Kramer. It is a three-piecer, as I suspect almost any genuine shell cordovan belt will be these days.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
It might be possible, I suppose, to get a sufficient length of shell for a very short belt from the rump of an enormous horse (few of which are around these days). I think some (perhaps most or all) of these one-piece belts are simply "cordovan" colored horsehide. I have a #8 shell cordovan belt made for me by holstermaker Greg Kramer. It is a three-piecer, as I suspect almost any genuine shell cordovan belt will be these days.

Don't know if you consider 32" very short but my AE belt is stamped "Shell Cordovan" on the back and so it is, #8 color as well. It's one piece. I've had it seven or eight years.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
Don't know if you consider 32" very short but my AE belt is stamped "Shell Cordovan" on the back and so it is, #8 color as well. It's one piece. I've had it seven or eight years.

I called AE and they said they have a one piece shell cordovan also for about $250. Not cheap but worth a look. Alas they don't have my size, so impulse buy won't be an issue.

On a related note, what do you guys think of wearing burgundy shell cordovan shoes paired with burgundy calf leather belt? It is much cheaper and easier to get calf belt.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The customer service folks might not know more than what the books say, but you cannot make a one piece belt from SC - not big enough...either Horween's or the Japanese tannery's. We buy both and they are the same size - roughly 20 inches.

This is a typical piece.

You can use 'hips' and get the length, but then this is not 'Shell Cordovan' but, well, hips.

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/sides.htm

This supplier gives the proper credit to both 'Shell Cordovan' and 'hips'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads