• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cordovan belt

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden makes them, but they are made up of several pieces of leather than are stitched together.

Are there other makers of cordovan belt, and is it also of similar construction?

horton

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that true cordovan belts have to come in pieces.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
I'm fairly sure that true cordovan belts have to come in pieces.

I remember seeing Ben Silver selling one-piece cordovan belts on their website. It must have been a big-assed horse

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw the ones offered by Ben Silver also online. I wonder what the story is. I was told by Alden that cordovan is not large enough to make a one piece belt.

horton

Reaction score
right, cordovan is actually some membrane like material that comes from the rump I believe (not the horse hide) and is only so big in diameter (not big enough for a belt).

I imagine any one piece belt is using "cordovan" to refer to the color, not the material.

well-kept

Reaction score
I have a one-piece shell cordovan belt made by AE. I wore it almost daily for years until it had torn in too many places to continue. I have also read that one-piece shell cordo belts can't be made but there you have it. Perhaps it's being a 32" size made it possible.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard of such a thing, but I've never seen one. Brooks Brothers had some shell corodvan belts earlier this summer, but they were made with 3 pieces.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spoke to Ben Silver. They confirmed that they do have one piece shell cordovan belts, but they are changing suppliers now so it will take a few months to get stock in. FYI their cordovan is from Japan.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might be possible, I suppose, to get a sufficient length of shell for a very short belt from the rump of an enormous horse (few of which are around these days). I think some (perhaps most or all) of these one-piece belts are simply "cordovan" colored horsehide. I have a #8 shell cordovan belt made for me by holstermaker Greg Kramer. It is a three-piecer, as I suspect almost any genuine shell cordovan belt will be these days.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
It might be possible, I suppose, to get a sufficient length of shell for a very short belt from the rump of an enormous horse (few of which are around these days). I think some (perhaps most or all) of these one-piece belts are simply "cordovan" colored horsehide. I have a #8 shell cordovan belt made for me by holstermaker Greg Kramer. It is a three-piecer, as I suspect almost any genuine shell cordovan belt will be these days.

Don't know if you consider 32" very short but my AE belt is stamped "Shell Cordovan" on the back and so it is, #8 color as well. It's one piece. I've had it seven or eight years.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
Don't know if you consider 32" very short but my AE belt is stamped "Shell Cordovan" on the back and so it is, #8 color as well. It's one piece. I've had it seven or eight years.

I called AE and they said they have a one piece shell cordovan also for about $250. Not cheap but worth a look. Alas they don't have my size, so impulse buy won't be an issue.

On a related note, what do you guys think of wearing burgundy shell cordovan shoes paired with burgundy calf leather belt? It is much cheaper and easier to get calf belt.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The customer service folks might not know more than what the books say, but you cannot make a one piece belt from SC - not big enough...either Horween's or the Japanese tannery's. We buy both and they are the same size - roughly 20 inches.

This is a typical piece.

You can use 'hips' and get the length, but then this is not 'Shell Cordovan' but, well, hips.

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/sides.htm

This supplier gives the proper credit to both 'Shell Cordovan' and 'hips'.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 238 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.8%
  • 31 - 40