Cordings of piccadilly

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by andreyb, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

I went in with my 17 year old niece and I was forced to stay there for a hour...

The place is dark and everything stinks their house perfumes...

The same inside..Queues for the dressing-room ,the tills and hundreds of parents being miserable as hell waiting for the little brats to spend 300 quids on two tee-shirts and a track suit bottom.

Should we start a "shops we hate on proper streets in Piccadilly" thread?

Starters

A and F
    Boateng
    Richard James
    "Suit Co" opposite Gieves
    Gieves
    That place opposite N and L with the Spitting Image puppets
    Charles Trywhitt
    All those vaguely Italian places called things like "Brantomi", "Lobotmimmi" and "Ferengini" that never have any customers in them.....

2. ralphwho

ralphwho Well-Known Member

I went in with my 17 year old niece and I was forced to stay there for a hour...

The same inside..Queues for the dressing-room ,the tills and hundreds of parents being miserable as hell waiting for the little brats to spend 300 quids on two tee-shirts and a track suit bottom.

no chinese though, unlike in cordigans [​IMG]

While I disagree with most people on here on most things, I have to agree that the A&F store is hideous. Got in a few months ago just for sheer curiosity, and it looked a disco with no air conditioning or drunk women, i.e totally useless

Now about H&K and H&H and the likes in J-street, you must agree that the PJs on the shop windows are plain weird. Just because it looks quaint it does not mean it is good. T&A don't have PJs but they have very odd-looking shirts- you need to go downstairs (past the people trying to justify their employment) to see something nice

I guess there are enough of you people + foreign tourists that pass by to keep them going, but a little bow to fashion would be appreciated

Even if it were true that they produce quality shirts with long lifetime , what is the point? Shirts are not like shoes. They dont get any better with time- why wear a shirt after 4 years- styles change (yes I am afraid they do) , your body shape changes , and people get tired of wearing the same stuff . So a long lasting shirt is not that useful especially if the styles are limited

3. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

Even if it were true that they produce quality shirts with long lifetime , what is the point? Shirts are not like shoes. They dont get any better with time- why wear a shirt after 4 years- styles change (yes I am afraid they do) , your body shape changes , and people get tired of wearing the same stuff . So a long lasting shirt is not that useful especially if the styles are limited

No, shirts do not get better with wear, but a classic dress shirt is timeless. I don't get bored of simple white, sky blue and ecru poplin shirts. How about blue end-on-end, bengal stripes, graph checks? There is a place in every man's wardrobe for these. With a classic spread collar and double cuffs it's not going to go out of style. H&K, H&H, T&A, etc. all make such shirts. Their styles do not change. Shirts shouldn't fit so tight that it's easy to grow out of them.

4. Frog in Suit

Frog in Suit Senior member

No, shirts do not get better with wear, but a classic dress shirt is timeless. I don't get bored of simple white, sky blue and ecru poplin shirts. How about blue end-on-end, bengal stripes, graph checks? There is a place in every man's wardrobe for these. With a classic spread collar and double cuffs it's not going to go out of style. H&K, H&H, T&A, etc. all make such shirts. Their styles do not change. Shirts shouldn't fit so tight that it's easy to grow out of them.

I still wear shirts (New & Lingwood) which I had made in the early 90s. I order two removable collars and rotate them. They last forever and if you stay away from wild patterns (I go for conservative stripes -- there is a lot to choose from in the books --) no one will guess their age. Also, I ended up having lots of shirts.[​IMG] which means they do not get worn too often.
    Frog in Suit

5. JensenH

JensenH Senior member

Precisely why I bought their stocks.

6. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Precisely why I bought their stocks.

I can't believe how many teens were in that shop...

A licence to print money...

Middle-class kids ready to buy crap at an inflated price...

Great.

7. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Starters

A and F
    Boateng
    Richard James
    "Suit Co" opposite Gieves
    Gieves
    That place opposite N and L with the Spitting Image puppets
    Charles Trywhitt
    All those vaguely Italian places called things like "Brantomi", "Lobotmimmi" and "Ferengini" that never have any customers in them.....

Vilebrequin
    Duchamp
    Belstaff (now)
    Berluti
    and ditto All those vaguely Italian/Arab places called things like "Brantomi", "Lobotmimmi" and "Ferengini" that never have any customers in them....

8. RSS

RSS Senior member

Thomas Pink.
    Any shop that occupies the space in the Burlington Arcade that once belonged to Lord's.

9. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

John Bray on Jermyn Street

10. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Senior member

I hate shops generally. I try to forget my Marx, but never succeed. Maybe Walter B. would be nearer the mark? Brass = stuff. Bottom line. Like Cordings though - more to do with the history, not the stuff (though I do own Cordings trousers). I've searched fruitlessly for a Diogenes Club in London, but no luck. An attractive option for the sardine-tourist.

11. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

Thomas Pink.
    Any shop that occupies the space in the Burlington Arcade that once belonged to Lord's.

Pink. How could I forget them? (Easily....)
    And Hackett.
    John Bray is I think the Spitting Image puppet place. I'm not sure. Like a Cambodian walking past a thinly-disguised Khmer Rouge mass grave, I just blank it out because the pain is too much, even though it's been there for decades.
    The only good arrival has been Waterstone's in the old DAKS/Simpson building, and that's mostly because of the bar.
    What happened to Lords? To Armour-Winston jewellers? And how many second-hand Rolex dealers can be fitted on one Arcade?
    And, to return to the original theme, to the minimal extent I may or may not be part of the "country set", they/we like Cordings, but our real country (ie killing animals and fish and eating them) clothes are more likely to come from Farlow's, from a Game Fair stall, or from the John Norris catalogue.

12. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

John Bray is I think the Spitting Image puppet place. I'm not sure.
    I don't know if they have been there for decades. I pray not. To be honest, I have never had a chance to examine their merchandise. The first -- and last -- time I walked in, I was treated to service so bad it was almost good, at least if you had been watching it happen to someone else. It was like being in an old comedy. Strike that. It was like walking into a pantomime men's wear store.
    +1 The top floor of Waterstone's is brilliant. As it is their flagship store, it can hardly be said to be a secret, yet it feels like one. It is hardly ever full, has decent and inexpensive -- considering the area -- food and an outstanding view. I kind of miss Herbie Frogg, but only because I liked the name.

13. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

The only good arrival has been Waterstone's in the old DAKS/Simpson building, and that's mostly because of the bar.
    What happened to Lords? To Armour-Winston jewellers? And how many second-hand Rolex dealers can be fitted on one Arcade?

+2 for the 5th floor at Waterstones Piccadilly a great place for meeting people as it is usually so quiet and they are very patient if you are there a long time. Food not bad either.
    On the other hand loosing Simpsons itself was a low point.

Aren't Armour Winston still there - it would be a shame to me if they are gone as I bought my wife's wedding present there.

14. RSS

RSS Senior member

What happened to Lords?
    I had been a regular customer since the 1960s. Each quarterly trip to London I'd stop in and find a few things to add to the wardrobe. When it come to accessories ... Lord's was, without doubt, my favorite haberdashery in all the world.

Then without warning* it was gone ... and in its place was a sweater shop ... perhaps N Peal. Whatever it was ... it was a huge disappointment.

* Perhaps the lack of customers in most such shops should have been warning enough. It all happened about the time the French bought and moved Swaine Adeney Brigg from its place on Piccadilly to its all to temporary quarters in that ... uhhh .... "baronial estate" ... over on/near Old Bond Street.

15. Kentishman

Kentishman Senior member

I love N Peal.