• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordings of piccadilly

Satmoche

Reaction score
I have read that their trousers have a mid-rise, but is the same for the corduroy line?
Has anyone have much experience with their shawl collar cardigan in terms of quality? The fit - at least on the website's pictures - looks quite loose, or maybe it is how it is meant to be, traditionally speaking.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Being by all appearances pre-shrunk, they might well be more suitable for your disco dancings than Cordings' trousers.

Q.'s A. lightweight flannel jackets get altered by disco dance or any other sweat. In disco dancing just a little Lycra enables trousers to stretch. Cordings trousers are 100% cotton, i.e. no 2% stretch mix. I sent an inquiry by email to Tom C. yesterday, if their reply to my previous inquiry is true - they have begun to add a tiny amount of synthetic fiber to the cotton for stretch, why isn't it announced publicly? I haven't bought any trouser ftom them yet. Because Cordings states trousers must be dry cleaned, I should have anticipated washing at 30 degrees above when drying shrinks.

Last edited:

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
PS: Don't expect Fx to tell you not to perspire (Fx don't dance, they just let for publicity sheep jump out of lorries on Savile Row - Fx believes that's funny and cool), if you ask how to care. Afterwards don't expect Top Fx to take any responsibility for ambiguous care instructions: "you rolled up your sleeves" (Fx wit). - Since most RTW off-the-peg cotton is preshrunk, it's only cotton jackets (except Gurteen and Brooks Taverner) which retailers and manufacturers say don't wash - why does Cordings sell cotton trousers which are NOT preshrunk? Is the chemical "dry" cleaning lobby so powerful? Presumably it's cheaper for Cordings to use cotton which is not pre-shrunk? If you wash a Solbiati linen jacket against instructions, expect with repetition holes.

Last edited:

Isbister

Reaction score
... why does Cordings sell cotton trousers which are NOT preshrunk? Is the chemical "dry" cleaning lobby so powerful in UK? If you wash a Solbiati linen jacket against instructions, expect holes.

In the UK, most good-quality corduroy and moleskin is made by Brisbane Moss, and is not pre-shrunk. It is likely to shrink when wash, and Cordings are protecting themselves against claims from customers who are unaware of this property. Personally I think dry-cleaning is quite harmful, and I doubt whether many Englishmen take their moleskins or cords to the dry-cleaners.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Everybody knows Brisbane Moss cloth is used, but nobody hears why it isn't pre-shrunk. Cordings salesgirls are mostly sweet and offer a discount to at least one dummy like me who don't follow cleaning instructions, but it ain't accumulative. Top cord don't like funny business, so wear your straight jacket in intercourse (not sexual, but cultural).
I believe dry cleaning in UK is dirt cheap. UK builds nuclear energy power plants and Gurteen sells uses polyester in jackets. Still would like to know difference between Cordings and Chester Barrie, Richard James, Hardy Amies, Oliver Brown, Regent Salisbury jacket cut and quality?

Last edited:

Isbister

Reaction score
I believe dry cleaning in UK is dirt cheap. UK builds nuclear energy power plants and Gurteen sells uses polyester in jackets. ...

Is there some connection between these suppositions and Cordings of Piccadilly?

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Does dry cleaning have negative effects on the clothes cleaned or also the environment? Should plutonium and some plastic species be replaced by healthier sources of Nature? Why does Tom C. think about his clothes in 30 years?

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Being by all appearances pre-shrunk, they might well be more suitable for your disco dancings than Cordings' trousers.

They're quite a tight and slightly strange cut IMO

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't like tight and strange, but Electric Blue, Green Goblin and sold out Lila! I suggested to Hillary at Cordings before she got transferred Duck Egg Blue!

PS: Charlie, my dear personal beltmaker, do you wear any Tom C. trousers?

Last edited:

Isbister

Reaction score
Anyway, swiftly moving on, Cordings have a bit of a promotion on at the moment, buy two pairs of trousers and the second pair is half-price. It's easy to become a bit jaded with these offers, shops in London seem to have them most of the time. There are a few eye-popping colours in corduroy, besides the less obtrusive. Their suits have reverted to pre-sale prices, however.

Cordings made me a fawn covert coat in 1984, which I've just sold (for roughly half what I paid then) through Savvy Row, along with various other cast-offs. There seems to be a healthy second-hand market for Cordings kit - quite good to know.

P2910830.jpg

https://www.cordings.co.uk/menswear/trousers/corduroy

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I don't like tight and strange, but Electric Blue, Green Goblin and sold out Lila! I suggested to Hillary at Cordings before she got transferred Duck Egg Blue!

PS: Charlie, my dear personal beltmaker, do you wear any Tom C. trousers?

I have some but the cut is not for me, too tight!

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Too late for Cordings silk etc. summerweight jackets, so to replace sweater damaged flannel and disintegrating linen I spent my last dime for sale priced 1/2 silk, 1/4 cotton & 1/4 linen two-button jacket (the higher of the two positioned not too high as elsewhere) from G&H and prepared an order for replacement buttons of St George & Reptilian motiv from B&J after my pupil paid me yesterday.

Last edited:

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have some but the cut is not for me, too tight!
You are right if one looks at the website photos. Why didn't you buy larger sizes?
I can find a new owner for them unless you wish to keep them for your heir or until you thin.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics