• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coral Lapel Pins

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wearing an Isaia suit recently and my pop took notice of the lapel pin. This conversation followed:

P: I don't get it. It's metal painted to look like coral?
M: Yeah.
P: Why? Seems cheap.
M: I don't know, that's their thing.
P: They should use real coral. It seems more fitting of such a handsome suit.
M: Probably lost cost-effective.
P: Your mother has a coral necklace that she hasn't worn in 15 years. The string broke and there are a few loose pieces. They're actually red. You should make some pins out of those.
M: OK.

So I did. What do you think?
20180402_124221.jpg
20180402_124229.jpg
20180402_124234.jpg

Last edited:

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
+. Since coral reefs are going extinct, using real coral would add more cachet to the brand.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wearinf an Isaia suit recently and my pop took notice of the lapel pin. This conversation followed:

P: I don't get it. It's metal painted to look like coral?
M: Yeah.
P: Why? Seems cheap.
M: I don't know, that's their thing.
P: They should use real coral. It seems more fitting of such a handsome suit.
M: Probably lost cost-effective.
P: Your mother has a coral necklace that she hasn't worn in 15 years. The string broke and there are a few loose pieces. They're actually red. You should make some pins out of those.
M: OK.

So I did. What do you think? View attachment 951316 View attachment 951317 View attachment 951319
I think those pins are rather appealing. Especially so as the coral is, essentially, recycled.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst never really a fan of wearing anything other than a flower in your buttonhole these don't look bad, well done.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are good reasons why clothing labels are sewn on the inside—and why labels on the sleeve are meant to removed. The primary reason is that a gentleman who is confident and secure in his sartorial choices has no need to seek the approval or even notice of others.

The second reason is that a gentleman would never want to suggest that he is being paid as a billboard—and why else would you wear advertising but to be paid?

I realize these self-evident truths are now violated everywhere with branded t-shirts, caps and even underwear. Not only do millions of bad businesspeople fail to negotiate a payment for all this advertising, they actually seem to pay out their own money for the privilege.

Which brings us to the Isaia lapel pin. Granted most people don’t know it’s the Isaia logo, but the ones who do are precisely those whom you would not want to believe you are so insecure as to trumpet your luxury brand. As an ironic statement, wearing the Isaia pin on clothing obviously not Isaia, like a denim motorcycle jacket, is fine.

But when wearing tailored Isaia clothing--if someone asks, feel free to name the maker of your suit although even here, opacity is recommended: “It’s Italian, handmade.” And remember, you didn’t go to Harvard. You went to a school near Boston.

Last edited:

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are good reasons why clothing labels are sewn on the inside—and why labels on the sleeve are meant to removed. The primary reason is that a gentleman who is confident and secure in his sartorial choices has no need to seek the approval or even notice of others.

The second reason is that a gentleman would never want to suggest that he being paid as a billboard—and why else would you wear advertising but to be paid?

I realize these self-evident truths are now violated everywhere with branded t-shirts, caps and even underwear. Not only do millions of bad businesspeople fail to negotiate a payment for all this advertising, they actually seem to pay out their own money for the privilege.

Which brings us to the Isaia lapel pin. Granted most people don’t know it’s the Isaia logo, but the ones who do are precisely those whom you would not want to believe you are so insecure as to trumpet your luxury brand. As an ironic statement, wearing the Isaia pin on clothing obviously not Isaia, like a denim motorcycle jacket, is fine.

But when wearing tailored Isaia clothing--if someone asks, feel free to name the maker of your suit although even here, opacity is recommended: “It’s Italian, handmade.” And remember, you didn’t go to Harvard. You went to a school near Boston.
My takeaway is you like them.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purely as objects, they are fine. I have a number of pieces of coral jewelry myself.
I was being a bit facetious :) I do appreciate your prose and your response, so thank you for that!

I wore one over the weekend. I have also worn the isaia ones in the past.

These garnish huge attention, for better or for worse. I found myself explaining that my mother's defunct necklace was now enjoying a second life and a new purpose to at least four of my acquaintances who I ran into.

I've never been asked about the isaia pin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads