1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Copying Commercial VHS to DVD?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Leo Jay, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior member

Anyone know anything about this process? Â I want to convert my VHS collection, and I know there are machines available to convert VHS to DVD, but I've heard that they only work with homemade VHS tapes, since commercial VHS tapes are all copy-protected -- is that really so? Â Is there no way to convert my commercial tapes?

2. acole

acole Senior member

You can buy various boxes that strip out macrovision, even for tape-to-tape dubbing. Â If you're working on a computer, there may also be capture cards or software that could do the same. Â I've never actually done any of this, so I don't have specifics, but the technology is there. Â Try www.videohelp.com and search on "VHS to DVD" or "VHS macrovision".

3. j

j Senior member Admin

You might be better off (for the movies for which this is possible) renting the DVD and copying from that. You will get a much better quality result. Since you already own a copy of the movie, I don't think it's immoral to do it this way. (If you then sell the VHS copies, it might be).

4. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Other than getting rid of the VHS box, why do you want to do this? You're looking at significant time and/or money, and unless you're converting home movies, I don't see the point. It might make more sense to gradually replace favorite or degrading tapes with DVDs or even Blu-Ray discs when they become common.

And I'd have to disagree with J about renting the DVD and copying it, even if you already own the VHS tape. Murky legal/moral grounds there, in my opinion.

5. j

j Senior member Admin

It may well be illegal, but in my opinion, if you already own one copy and make another copy for your own use, it is perfectly acceptable.

6. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Ah yes, but you're not technically making a copy of the same thing. The pictures may be the same, or even similar, but it's remastered, correct? Therefore a different film. [​IMG]