• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Copy a suit?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I know companies like mytailor can copy shirts you send in, do any others offer services where you send in a full suit for the same result?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine they can get the dimensions, but the shape won't be the same.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You definitely can copy a suit and I think they can get it close to the dimensions you want, but the materials used (interfacing, shoulder pads, wool etc) may mean that it may not fit or drape the same.

They have been instances where a tailor who has the pattern of an existing client stored, was not able to cut the same suit because of the material used. Also copying a suit seems to me a lot more complicated that doing it for a shirt.

Remote MTM on a suit is a lot riskier than shirts. Even TAT who churns a decent suit, have been known at times to screw up. Many a time, the end product of remote MTM will require it to be tweaked again by a local tailor.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So does anyone know of any specific tailors around the world who can copy suits? I imagine it would indeed drape differently if I used a different fabric, as upnorth said, but it seems like it would be fairly minimal and I'm not that picky. Plus if I tell them to err or the tight side, and give generous seam allowances, I could just get tweeked here in the US. I have a fairly good suit jacket now and it'd be great if I could just mail it off to Bangkok or something to get it copied....

PainZtaking

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
So does anyone know of any specific tailors around the world who can copy suits? I imagine it would indeed drape differently if I used a different fabric, as upnorth said, but it seems like it would be fairly minimal and I'm not that picky. Plus if I tell them to err or the tight side, and give generous seam allowances, I could just get tweeked here in the US. I have a fairly good suit jacket now and it'd be great if I could just mail it off to Bangkok or something to get it copied....

Almost any tailor here in Bangkok can copy a suit. But the quality might not be as good as what you get from other parts of the world.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While you can get a lot of things the same like lengths and measurements at the waist and shoulder it won't come out the same without having the pattern. The thing is these "achor points" if you like can be the same but what about the in between? Just too much nuance and variable to manage every inch.

I am reminded of the many attempts to replicate an old Brooks brothers collar.

Freddy Vandecasteele

Reaction score
"I have a fairly good suit jacket now"
That is your solution. Go where it came from and get an other one.
Freddy Vandecasteele

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had it done twice, once in Spain, once in Ecuador.
Neither is a sartorial center. It really didn't work.
Both results fit perfectly. But neither really reflected
the style of the garment from which it was copied.
In the case of Spain, the tailor was given a Brooks
Bros very trad jacket with patch flap pockets, etc.
It was 1961. The result was a close fitting shaped
three button jacket in the then latest continental
style. Back in the US, the suit looked "foreign"
It looked great on me. Women loved it. I wasn't
very comfortable in it as I was an Ivy Snob at the
time, as I still basically am.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads