• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coppley vs Samuelsohn

MoNum

Reaction score
Sales rep at Harry Rosen suggests that I should get a Coppley MTM over a Samuelsohn.

I am a thin guy so a slim fitting suit is what I am aiming for.

Curiously the rep states that Samuelsohn MTM is not fully canvassed.

The rep also says that the Coppley MTM likely would fit me better.

Any thoughts? Everywhere I read is that Samuelsohn is better quality overall. Cost difference doesn't matter to me, just quality and fit.

Do Samuelsohn's have slimmer fits with drop 7?

Thanks

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Samuelsohn is fully canvassed. Coppley is not.

I'm curious to know which location you went to.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard good things about the Coppley MTM though quality is not as good as Sam. The fit of the former may better.

MoNum

Reaction score
West Edmonton Location.

The price difference doesn't matter too much to me. The rep said that the Samuelsohn will not be as trim for my slim frame.

I am curious why the rep was pushing Coppley so much.

Do Samuelsohns come in slim fit cuts for MTM?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the slimmest Samuelsohn model is the Paul II.

Try that one.

MoNum

Reaction score
Thanks. Do all Harry Rosen's carry this style?

AugustusBrine

Reaction score
Wow - All I can say is THAT IS incredible information... from a Harry Rosen "commission-based" salesman. How devious... or uninformed he was. Run away - fast.

Samuelsohn must not be compared to Coppley. Although, to Coppley's credit they do often use very fine fabrics by Ermenegildo Zegna, but they don't hold a candle to Samuelsohn. As for "slim fit" why not consider retaining a fine tailor to achieve the results you require?

Having stated the above, I must add that I'm a big fan of both Samuelsohn and Coppley, but let's be realistic. Samuelsohn is by far a superior product.

Cheers,
Auggie

Firefox

Reaction score
To concur with what others have said here, Samuelsohnn is fully-canvassed. I own a few Samuelsohn suits/SCs, and they are of very high quality. That being said, I do think it's safe to say that their cuts tend to be on the traditional side. That isn't neccesarily a bad thing in of itself, but it does mean that if you are looking for something very slim or fashion-forward, you may want to look elsewhere.

I personally don't have any experience with Coppley. I do know that they are half-canvassed, made in Hamilton, and a little cheaper than Samuelsohn. I know that there are others on StyleForum who have used Coppley MTM, and have been pleased with the results (check the main "Wedding Clothing" thread for an example).

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the slimmest Samuelsohn model is the Paul I and Paul II.

They're drop 7s and I usually have to size up to 40R (I typically wear 38R/39R in Gable and Ashton). The Paul also has a strong roped shoulder.

CTLION

Reaction score
Its been said already...Samuelsohn is the better choice. I own two Samuelsohn suits and I like them equal to any suit in my closet including my Italian suits Brioni, Canali :and two of my bespoke suits. People love their bespoke suits and that's fine. I will say that I have found my Italian suits fit equally well. But I have very broad shoulders so they fall clean on me.

I won't speak to which model you should wear as I am not fond of overly slim suits and I hate the whole skinny pants fad. But hey that's me.

Firefox

Reaction score
I think the slimmest Samuelsohn model is the Paul I and Paul II.

They're drop 7s and I usually have to size up to 40R (I typically wear 38R/39R in Gable and Ashton). The Paul also has a strong roped shoulder.
Othertravel, is the Ashton more or less identical to the Gable? I've tried (and failed) to get a straight answer to this question for more than a year. I've asked sales reps at Harry Rosen as well as Samuelsohn directly, but neither were able (or willing) to give me an answer. All that Samuelsohn would say is that the Ashton model is exclusive to Harry Rosen, and directed me to HR for more information. All the Harry Rosen reps would say is that they don't carry the Gable model.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harry does have Gable.

The shoulder on the gable falls smoothly over the arm. It's a soft shoulder model.

The Ashton is roped and has a more structured/British look.

Firefox

Reaction score
Harry does have Gable.

The shoulder on the gable falls smoothly over the arm. It's a soft shoulder model.

The Ashton is roped and has a more structured/British look.
Which stores carry the Gable? I typically go to the First Canadian Place or Eaton Centre stores, and they only ever seem to have the Ashton (and some larger cuts).

I have an Ashton in both a RTW and a MTM, although the MTM is tagged as a drop 7. In addition, I seem to recall looking through the model book when I had my MTM made, and Gable wasn't listed.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless they stopped carrying it this season, the Gable is widely available. Try the Bloor location.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads