• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coping with Wide Feet

AunToni

Reaction score
Their normal width is usually E, sometimes D depending on the market. I'd compare f width in EG to EE in Alden.
Thanks, but I never tried on Alden, haha. Do you know if EG offer hassle free returns if you buy online from them? I was considering just buying a pair from MrP to try on and return so I know if I need the F width or not, but if EG offers hassle free returns then I'll just buy from them directly first.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but I never tried on Alden, haha. Do you know if EG offer hassle free returns if you buy online from them? I was considering just buying a pair from MrP to try on and return so I know if I need the F width or not, but if EG offers hassle free returns then I'll just buy from them directly first.
I don't know. Check out their website ?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having suffered with wide feet for a while, I find shoe shopping in person to be essential, unless you already know a manufacturers last and size. This limits the amount of eBay/deal shopping, but in the long run makes for more comfortable feet!

Allen Edmonds are very often reasonable even brand new. You can regularly buy them for 250.

Alden is more of a vintage purchase.

Also, I don’t understand what this means, specifically realted to Alden. what is a "Vintage Purchase"??

Chowkin

Reaction score

Have a look at G&G - you can order shoes in “F” width (their wide width) with no surcharge. Plus they are offering a 20% discount at the moment.

I think you can ask them for trial shoes to nail down your size

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
since when can GG order F width with no charge, it used to be quite substantial charge I remember...

Chowkin

Reaction score
Ever since they took back the e-commerce site from Nick

77C5BAE5-D356-455B-A3A4-B4922D840B58.jpeg

BTW, G&G carries in stock F width in some models, eg St James II in vintage cherry

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses so far everyone!

So far we've been able to look at a few brands, with AE usually being the picked here for entry-level with relatively wide lasts/extra width options. Alden, EG, and G&G are good options as well for higher-end designs, but also best to make sure we can get measured at an actual store for them. JM Weston was also thrown in, though I also wonder how they match up in size to Paraboots, as I see the two compared pretty often.

I am curious though if anyone uses shoe inserts or any other remedy for wide feet. Sometimes I wonder if a resole to a wider foot bed, say a Vibram Wedge Sole, may help.

neminat

Reaction score
This is where AE really shines. The number of sizes and widths they sell is absolutely impressive. This seems like it will be your go to shoe.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is where AE really shines. The number of sizes and widths they sell is absolutely impressive. This seems like it will be your go to shoe.

I would also add that they are quite easy to find and try on for fit without the trouble of buying, trying on and returning shoes purchased online.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having suffered with wide feet for a while, I find shoe shopping in person to be essential, unless you already know a manufacturers last and size. This limits the amount of eBay/deal shopping, but in the long run makes for more comfortable feet!

Also, I don’t understand what this means, specifically realted to Alden. what is a "Vintage Purchase"??

I buy Aldens second hand as they're 900 in the shoe store and when I can get them for <200 dollars with very little wear, or in a style I can't get now, I see no reason to pay 900 for them.

I generally buy vintage shoes as you can get insane deals on very lightly worn merchandise.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses so far everyone!

So far we've been able to look at a few brands, with AE usually being the picked here for entry-level with relatively wide lasts/extra width options. Alden, EG, and G&G are good options as well for higher-end designs, but also best to make sure we can get measured at an actual store for them. JM Weston was also thrown in, though I also wonder how they match up in size to Paraboots, as I see the two compared pretty often.

I am curious though if anyone uses shoe inserts or any other remedy for wide feet. Sometimes I wonder if a resole to a wider foot bed, say a Vibram Wedge Sole, may help.

You should never put a vibram wedge sole on a pair of dress shoes. Wedge soles are solely for sneakers.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The width of the shoe is not determined by the sole that is applied. The last determines the width. If you truly have a wide foot, there is no amount of hot rodding you can do to the shoe to make it fit.

It starts and ends with the last.

Reaction score
You should never put a vibram wedge sole on a pair of dress shoes. Wedge soles are solely for sneakers.

I get this! But was thinking in the context of more casual styles, like some derbies ala Postman shoes of Redwing, and thinking of resoling some boots I have.

But as @Phileas Fogg mentioned, it seems to start and end with the last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads