• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coping with Wide Feet

Reaction score
First post here, so I wanted to ask you guys one of my largest issues when buying clothes: Shoe Width.

Quick personal anecdote: for the longest time I had thought I was a standard 8.5 US. These were my size in sneakers and other general release derbies like the Dr. Marten 1461. Lo and behold, during a period when I started trying to be serious about running, I got my foot scanned for an accurate measurement. I'm actually a US 7, but with a VERY wide fit. So wide in fact that I'm able to size up to 8s and 9s due to the width I need with the shoe.

But after knowing my actual measurements, I feel paralyzed trying to buy shoes, especially online and now that I'm trying to get better leather shoes. My question is then is how do you guys cope with having odd foot measurements like this? Should I avoid brands without width options or avoid certain styles? Do any of you simply size up like me and cope with some odd spacing in the toebox? Or do any of you guys have other methods of coping such as insoles and such?

TLDR; My feet are very wide and often create lots of discrepancies with sizing. How do you guys who have similar issues cope in picking what shoe to wear?

P.S. Shouts out to Derek Guy for his Article on Getting your foot measured on a brannock, felt acknowledged on my issue.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With one scan you went from a normal to a wide foot?
Those “scans” are incredibly inaccurate and I wouldn’t depend on them for really anything.
you are correct, however, in being wary of buying shoes online. I realize in the current climate online makes sense, but in this case I’d wait. When moving into the realm of quality and proper shoes, you start to deal with other factors such as the last of the shoe. The same sized shoe in two different lasts will feel and fit completely differently.
Therefore go try on shoes in person. Go off of fit and comfort and not so much a generic number or a perception of the width of your foot.

Reaction score
With one scan you went from a normal to a wide foot?
Those “scans” are incredibly inaccurate and I wouldn’t depend on them for really anything.
you are correct, however, in being wary of buying shoes online. I realize in the current climate online makes sense, but in this case I’d wait. When moving into the realm of quality and proper shoes, you start to deal with other factors such as the last of the shoe. The same sized shoe in two different lasts will feel and fit completely differently.
Therefore go try on shoes in person. Go off of fit and comfort and not so much a generic number or a perception of the width of your foot.
Thank you for this! Admittedly I think it would be best to get measured by an actual Brannock. The tech of the scan looked impressive but I guess looks can be deceiving.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this! Admittedly I think it would be best to get measured by an actual Brannock. The tech of the scan looked impressive but I guess looks can be deceiving.

they’re bullshit!

even the Brannock device shouldn’t be completely relied upon. It’s a good starting point, but again, depending on the last you may need to size up or down.

paxonus

Reaction score
I refuse to size up to get increased width. I'm a 9E and am quite pleased with my Allen Edmonds. They aren't the best value, but they are by no means the least. I buy them selectively and they all fit very well. I'm quite satisfied with the 12 pair I own and my shoe buying days are behind me.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Correct. Shoe size is a function of the length of the foot. True there is some proportionality between width and length, but sizing up just for width makes the shoe that much more unwearable.

Reaction score
I refuse to size up to get increased width. I'm a 9E and am quite pleased with my Allen Edmonds. They aren't the best value, but they are by no means the least. I buy them selectively and they all fit very well. I'm quite satisfied with the 12 pair I own and my shoe buying days are behind me.

Did you figure your size based on a Brannock measurement or is this specific to Allen Edmonds?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you figure your size based on a Brannock measurement or is this specific to Allen Edmonds?
Allen Edmonds will help you find a shoe based off your brannock. Brannock is pretty universally used as a starting point for sizing. High instep, different heel-toe to heel-ball measurements, etc need to be taken into account for best size. If the fitter isn't checking both on brannock and then watching lace gap, it's worth trying another store. Unfortunately, AE has reduced their in store stock, so the 65 last is likely to be the only shoe they will have in stock in anything other than D. 65 works fine for me, but high insteps suffer in it with a huge lace gap and vamp pressure. You can order a different size, though, once they help you determine your size.
Proper men's shoe companies understand not all feet are D width, and increasing length is a bad solution. Bear in mind not all lasts will fit the same, and different sizes may be necessary. I wear 11EE, 11EEE, 11.5EE depending on last and manufacturer.

Liam.C

Reaction score
First post here, so I wanted to ask you guys one of my largest issues when buying clothes: Shoe Width.

Quick personal anecdote: for the longest time I had thought I was a standard 8.5 US. These were my size in sneakers and other general release derbies like the Dr. Marten 1461. Lo and behold, during a period when I started trying to be serious about running, I got my foot scanned for an accurate measurement. I'm actually a US 7, but with a VERY wide fit. So wide in fact that I'm able to size up to 8s and 9s due to the width I need with the shoe.

But after knowing my actual measurements, I feel paralyzed trying to buy shoes, especially online and now that I'm trying to get better leather shoes. My question is then is how do you guys cope with having odd foot measurements like this? Should I avoid brands without width options or avoid certain styles? Do any of you simply size up like me and cope with some odd spacing in the toebox? Or do any of you guys have other methods of coping such as insoles and such?

TLDR; My feet are very wide and often create lots of discrepancies with sizing. How do you guys who have similar issues cope in picking what shoe to wear?

P.S. Shouts out to Derek Guy for his Article on Getting your foot measured on a brannock, felt acknowledged on my issue.
Brannock measurement is a good starting point, but it's better to try on shoes in shops that offer wide width. My actual feet measurement is about 9EE with a high instep, but I've been wearing 10D for a long time until Allen Edmonds helped me figure out my actual size. Now I only buy wide width shoes -- it's so much more comfortable than buying a longer shoe to compensate for the width. Some reputable brands that offer wide width shoes: AE / Alden / Carmina / TLB Mallorca (the last brand is best value for me)

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It isn't that difficult to cope with wide feet. I wear anything from an 11.5 EEE to a 13 E depending on the shoe and last.

What you have to do is quite simply purchase shoes from places that have your size. If you can't, then size up. In running shoes, that could be a serious problem due to tripping, bu tyou don't run in men's dress shoes, and you should be able to get away with a bit bigger - though I wouldn't size up TOO much.

Try to buy shoes that fit as closely as you can, though you do have a strange combination of very wide with a relatively small length.

Reaction score
It isn't that difficult to cope with wide feet. I wear anything from an 11.5 EEE to a 13 E depending on the shoe and last.

What you have to do is quite simply purchase shoes from places that have your size. If you can't, then size up. In running shoes, that could be a serious problem due to tripping, bu tyou don't run in men's dress shoes, and you should be able to get away with a bit bigger - though I wouldn't size up TOO much.

Try to buy shoes that fit as closely as you can, though you do have a strange combination of very wide with a relatively small length.

Bad genetics from my mom's side. Admittedly what you do is what Ive been doing for a while. Though I do notice that it is still better to try and get a nice width to avoid and slippage while walking.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad genetics from my mom's side. Admittedly what you do is what Ive been doing for a while. Though I do notice that it is still better to try and get a nice width to avoid and slippage while walking.

Slippage is a major concern.

One thing that makes Alden so nice is their sizing for heel AND for toe, so you have two widths in one shoe. It's great for men like myself who have relatively narrow heels, but very wide toe boxes.

Reaction score
Slippage is a major concern.

One thing that makes Alden so nice is their sizing for heel AND for toe, so you have two widths in one shoe. It's great for men like myself who have relatively narrow heels, but very wide toe boxes.
Loving the recommendations so far for Allen Edmonds and Alden. A bit pricey, but so far looking like a good investment for a reliable shoe.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loving the recommendations so far for Allen Edmonds and Alden. A bit pricey, but so far looking like a good investment for a reliable shoe.

Allen Edmonds are very often reasonable even brand new. You can regularly buy them for 250.

Alden is more of a vintage purchase.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads