• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Coping with Wide Feet

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
English brand offer wide fit too, just very limited (though for example the italian retailer tends to get EG in wide fit while no where else does, or you do single MTO which is stupidly expensive...)

Reaction score
English brand offer wide fit too, just very limited (though for example the italian retailer tends to get EG in wide fit while no where else does, or you do single MTO which is stupidly expensive...)
Ill have to check out English brand. Havent heard of this one yet.

Additionally, I've been buying shoes for a while now as you guys can imagine and I do worry that I've been buying them in the wrong size the entire time. It's probably in my head but now I worry that a lot of my shoes have unnecessary toe box space. Gotta admit learning about lasts has added a lot more things to consider in purchasing shoes.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the recommendations for Allen Edmonds and Alden. The sad fact for uys like us is that many dress shoe companies have scaled back and offer only D width and this forces you to adapt as you have already described. Allen Edmonds and Alden are both still using wider lasts and allowing for a better fit. I think it is worth your time to get sized at an Allen Edmonds store and try shoes that are properly sized. It makes a great difference in fit and comfort.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For all the standard models, there is no need for single mto, just patience. Restock for store models is the same.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For all the standard models, there is no need for single mto, just patience. Restock for store models is the same.
you mean EG? yea I guess you can get from the italian retailer, but generally speaking I don't see CJ/EG/GG on wide fit unless you do single MTO

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you mean EG? yea I guess you can get from the italian retailer, but generally speaking I don't see CJ/EG/GG on wide fit unless you do single MTO
Yes. This goes for both EG and GG, though.
As a retailer I have ordered up the standard styles in other widths without mto surcharge. Also our special makeups.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good to know, just very very rare to see wide fit EG in UK and US (and almost never any wide fit CJ/GG)

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good to know, just very very rare to see wide fit EG in UK and US (and almost never any wide fit CJ/GG)
We've always had Chelsea on the 202 in F width in addition to E and D. Ordered up G widths for customers when needed. 😊

Reaction score
I second the recommendations for Allen Edmonds and Alden. The sad fact for uys like us is that many dress shoe companies have scaled back and offer only D width and this forces you to adapt as you have already described. Allen Edmonds and Alden are both still using wider lasts and allowing for a better fit. I think it is worth your time to get sized at an Allen Edmonds store and try shoes that are properly sized. It makes a great difference in fit and comfort.
In relation to this, has anyone tried to get customer service of Allen Edmonds to help size them? A bit tricky to try and find an official store given the pandemic.

EDIT: Also would like to know how are people's experiences with AE boots? The price range is honestly not bad for a good shoe that lasts.

Though I also saw a thread here on different sizings for AE. Here it is for reference. https://www.styleforum.net/ams/allen-edmonds-sizing-guide.124448/

Last edited:

AunToni

Reaction score
To be honest, the only brand I had found so far that carries wider widths in nearly every model and not only that, they have them in the store, is JM Weston. However, they are closing stores around the world, so, unless you live in Europe or Japan, not a realistic choice since they don't do online orders outside of certain countries and they barely sell through third parties, or when they do, like MrP, the third party only carries the normal width. Anyways, the point is that, as someone with wide feet, I bought a lot of JM Weston's over the years and a large reason for that was the availability of wider widths that fit my foot paired with high quality product and elegant designs.
However, I'm looking for a new brand now to buy shoes from since I don't care for the new direction JM Weston has taken. I'm not really a fan of AE. I mean, they are decent shoes, but after wearing JMW and EG, hard to really get into AE beyond buying a boot with leather sole to wear in the rain.
Any other suggestions for RTW brands that carry wider widths and at least have some online store?

Reaction score
To be honest, the only brand I had found so far that carries wider widths in nearly every model and not only that, they have them in the store, is JM Weston. However, they are closing stores around the world, so, unless you live in Europe or Japan, not a realistic choice since they don't do online orders outside of certain countries and they barely sell through third parties, or when they do, like MrP, the third party only carries the normal width. Anyways, the point is that, as someone with wide feet, I bought a lot of JM Weston's over the years and a large reason for that was the availability of wider widths that fit my foot paired with high quality product and elegant designs.
However, I'm looking for a new brand now to buy shoes from since I don't care for the new direction JM Weston has taken. I'm not really a fan of AE. I mean, they are decent shoes, but after wearing JMW and EG, hard to really get into AE beyond buying a boot with leather sole to wear in the rain.
Any other suggestions for RTW brands that carry wider widths and at least have some online store?

thanks for the input on this! Tbh I also saw some AEs at a local dept store and not sure on how the leather quality stands vs brands like JM Weston. I’ve been to Japan and the Westons are great but admittedly at a high cost.
A brand with a decent last so far I’ve found were the Paraboot Michaels. But these may not be the best for people looking for something a bit more formal.

AunToni

Reaction score
thanks for the input on this! Tbh I also saw some AEs at a local dept store and not sure on how the leather quality stands vs brands like JM Weston. I’ve been to Japan and the Westons are great but admittedly at a high cost.
A brand with a decent last so far I’ve found were the Paraboot Michaels. But these may not be the best for people looking for something a bit more formal.
Personally, I don't really like many AE models. In terms of leather quality, JMW is better for sure, but AE makes some good shoes for the price, especially if you can find them on sale. As for JMW, Is it worth the price you'd be paying? Well, you're def. paying for the name, even though the name isn't that popular, but the quality is top notch for a high end RTW brand. However, I don't care for their customer service and they don't seem to care much for you if you live outside of Europe or Japan. Anyways, I bought into the name because a) I liked the design and fit of the shoe and b) they carry wider sizes in nearly all their shoes. Plus, they generally cost less than EG and JL, etc. Although, I do want to get a pair of either monks or wholecut oxfords from either JL or EG or both and see how they hold up and compare to my Weston's.
Anyways, I don't say all of this as a casual Weston wearer, I own 15 pairs of shoes from them. If you are caught up on the price though, and I don't blame you, then I would look at other brands, but that puts both of us back in the same position because I'm not really sure what other brands offer wider widths in nearly all their models. For example, EG offers wider widths, but only on certain models and they don't look that interesting to me. I'm also not a fan of the "chunkier" shoe. I like longer lasts. So, for me, Weston was kind of the only choice outside of bespoke, but since I currently live in Asia and don't have access to good bespoke shoemakers, I will hold off for a bit.

I have not tried Paraboot, so cannot speak about them.
As for AE, I would buy directly from them, either online or in their own stores. And they have sales often, so best to check out when their sales are. I only have a chukka boot from them simply because I didn't really care for the style of the rest of their models, at least the ones that fit me.

AunToni

Reaction score
Anyone here familiar with EG's lasts? Is the 202 last their only last that accommodates wider feet? I notice on their website they have the F width, but only in certain models. Anyone have enough experience to know how the F width compares with the 202 last in standard width?

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here familiar with EG's lasts? Is the 202 last their only last that accommodates wider feet? I notice on their website they have the F width, but only in certain models. Anyone have enough experience to know how the F width compares with the 202 last in standard width?
Their normal width is usually E, sometimes D depending on the market. I'd compare f width in EG to EE in Alden.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.