1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Coordinating with gf's dress at a wedding?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sway23, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Sway23

Sway23 Active Member

I have a charcoal, pinstripe suit and a white w/ light-blue stripes shirt. My gf is wearing a maroon (wine-red) colored dress. Is there a good way we can coordinate our colors to look good, without looking campy/cheesy? The two possibilities I was thinking of was either getting a tie with some red in it, or getting a maroon colored pocket square. But I'm not sure how either will go with the blue-striped shirt. Any other ideas/suggestions?

2. truthhurts

truthhurts Senior Member

Striped suit + striped shirt = no. Especially at a wedding, christ. I would go so far as to say that wearing striped suit to a wedding is bad taste but you could get away with it.

White shirt, white pocket square and match her dress (but not too closely) with your tie. Don't match your pocket square to her, you will look dorky.

3. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Senior Member

I always thought that it was okay to wear a striped shirt and suit as long as the stripes were different in scale. I never have but only because I don't own any striped suits. I don't see what's wrong with wearing a striped suit to a wedding either. I wouldn't wear a chalk stripe but a nice pinstripe looks dressy to me. Back to the matter at hand, I would wear a white shirt with a striped maroon/reddish tie. You could, if you like, wear a pocket square that had maroon in it but I would avoid it. I would not wear a charcoal suit with a blue shirt and a reddish tie. I can't picture it matching very well. Brooks Brothers has the ties that I refer to and this sort of look is something I have worn before. The shirt I wore was grey/red checks though.

4. truthhurts

truthhurts Senior Member

Striped suits are business wear in my opinion but like I said it's a matter of taste and easy enough to get away with.

Stripes on stripes would look out of place at a wedding. The best way I could put it is that it's not very elegant.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Shadow or pinstripes are very fashionable (i.e. for non-business wear.) A chalkstripe suit might be a little out of place, I'll give you that. Stripes on stripes, correctly done, distinguishes a guy with some real panache from a guy who just looks acceptable.

I would go with a textured pink shirt and a light colored tie with just a hint of blue. Same color family, but definitely not the same color. And a guy who can pull off a pink dress shirt is pretty cool. Make sure that it is a pale pink though - no hot pink unless you are Elton John.